Any Tips When OS Won't Even Recognize Disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kwarner04

Any Tips When OS Won't Even Recognize Disc

Post by kwarner04 »

I'm trying to finish up my blu-ray collection and I have one disc (The Bank Job (2008) - Retail) that I can't get to work.

No matter what I do, when I put the disc in the drive, the OS won't even recognize it. I've tried on both a Mac and Windows 7 and neither recognize the disc at all. Just looks like there's nothing in the drive.

I know this isn't a MakeMKV issue, but I was hoping someone else on here might have some thoughts on what to do.

I've been able to rip over 150 discs without any problems, so it's odd that it's just this one that is causing problems.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Re: Any Tips When OS Won't Even Recognize Disc

Post by Woodstock »

Same suggestions as when MakeMKV says it hit an error - start with cleaning the disk. Operating systems look for a response from the drive, which is trying to read what is on the disk. Remember that a drive has its own computer on board; if it isn't getting sync signals from the laser (which come from the disk), it isn't going to say it found something.

I've had disks that had cracked hubs that became "invisible" to drives. I've also got one with a BROKEN hub that works just fine, at least for now.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
SpacedCowboy

Re: Any Tips When OS Won't Even Recognize Disc

Post by SpacedCowboy »

For what it's worth, I suspect it is something to do with the protection because I can't get my version of "The Bank Job" to load (OSX or Linux) either.