Baby Driver MKV Forced Subtitles Missing

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Spanbauer

Baby Driver MKV Forced Subtitles Missing

Post by Spanbauer »

Hi all,

I ripped my blu-ray copy of Baby Driver last night to find that, despite selecting the English Subtitles & checking the "forced only" checkbox as I typically do, the subtitles that should appear when Baby speaks with Joseph via sign language do not appear during playback. Are the forced titles hidden on a different track somewhere? Anyone have the solution? Thanks!
Woodstock

Re: Baby Driver MKV Forced Subtitles Missing

Post by Woodstock »

"Forced only" will only get the subtitles that have the "forced" flag set. Most DVDs and BDs do NOT make use of this flag!

It is most likely the sign language translation is in its own subtitle track. It may be the ONLY track, if the audio is the same language as the subtitle track.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

If you left everything default or English only in preferences, you should have a separate track for Forced subtitles. You will have to manually tag it Forced with mkvtoolnix if you want your media player to prefer it as MakeMKV doesn't set a Forced flag, but rather creates the subtitle as a separate subtitle track.
Spanbauer

Post by Spanbauer »

angelgraves13 wrote:If you left everything default or English only in preferences, you should have a separate track for Forced subtitles. You will have to manually tag it Forced with mkvtoolnix if you want your media player to prefer it as MakeMKV doesn't set a Forced flag, but rather creates the subtitle as a separate subtitle track.
Thanks for the reply, but with nearly every disc I've ripped (over 100) the forced subtitles have in fact appeared all on their own, with a few exceptions in which I've had to go through he process to which you're referring. But with Baby Driver and now this week Spiderman: Homecoming (both Sony PIctures titles), the forced subtitles have been absent.

I used mkvtoolnix to set the forced flag on Baby Driver, which causes them to appear when played back in Infuse but oddly not in Plex. Ideas?
d00zah

Post by d00zah »

Seems to be a Plex issue. MUCH discussion in their forums (& elsewhere)...

https://www.google.com/search?q=plex+fo ... 1&dpr=1.25