Toy Story 3 - Animated Video Image Subtitles

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
preserve

Toy Story 3 - Animated Video Image Subtitles

Post by preserve »

This is the UK region-free "Bonus Material" / "Disc 2" Blu-ray of Toy Story 3.

It has the full movie on it along with 2 audio commentaries (it's interesting that they didn't just put this on the main movie disc).

It also has an image subtitle track, showing storyboards, production art, photos, etc.

The images are in frames. The frames fade in, wait a few seconds, and then fade out.

When these images in the subtitle track are a single image inside the frame, it works just fine.

But when the frame fades in and then there's an "animated" or "video" sequence of multiple images (sometimes short, sometimes long), all I get is an empty frame.

I tested with multiple playback software - VLC, MPC-HC and MPV.io.

All three playback software have the same problem (and actually both MPC-HC and MPV.io have even more problems).

What I'm trying to determine is if this is a problem with the way MakeMKV rips, or if it's a problem with the software playback.

If anyone has experienced this or knows more about it or can help troubleshoot it, that'd be great!

I have seen other examples of still image subtitle tracks that work fine, such as Star Trek Original Series and Fifth Element. This is the first time I've seen one where they have an "animation" / "video" in the image subtitle track.

This is the best use of image subtitles I've seen so far in a movie, it's very interesting to watch - there are LOTS of images, constantly (some movies have it, but not nearly as many images, sometimes minutes go by and there's nothing), and best of all the images directly relate to what is being said in the audio commentary.

Here is a photo showing this, comparing software playback of MKV on computer with actual Blu-ray playback on Blu-ray player.

Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
preserve

Re: Toy Story 3 - Animated Video Image Subtitles

Post by preserve »

Some more info.

Looking at the content in more detail, they are definitely "video" sequences, not just a rapid series of images.

VLC - same issue and no difference when playing from a decrypted .m2ts.

Both MPV and MPC-HC - same issue when playing from a decrypted .m2ts, but they do handle the still ones properly from the .m2ts (they didn't handle the stills quite properly when playing the MKV file).

So I guess it must be a playback software issue :(
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00