Discs with "Cine-Explore" or "Movie Magic" feature failing to rip

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Goose

Discs with "Cine-Explore" or "Movie Magic" feature failing to rip

Post by Goose »

I've had great success ripping the vast majority of my blu-ray library (100+ discs) but have come across something that's got me stumped. My Inception disc failed to rip more than half of the titles on the disc, getting some of the bonus features but not the film it's self. I tried doing a backup of the disc's files then ripping from those files but it failed just the same. Whatever, I moved on.

My copy of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix has a "Focus Points" option that allows you to play the movie with little behind the scenes featurettes popping up through it and that title failed every time I tried to rip it (oddly it worked without a problem on HP 7 parts 1 and 2, which I'm chalking up to a better disc authoring approach.)

Looking at the two largest titles on Inception (32.5GB and 37.0GB), they both have about 30 segments, leading to think that the disc's "Extraction Mode" option is a similar feature, which may be causing it to fail as well. I have had no other problems with any other discs except these two, leading me to suspect there's a related cause of failure.

With Harry Potter I was able to get the standard feature to rip just fine but the completionist in me would like to get the "Focus Points" version to copy as well. With Inception, I haven't been able to get the feature in any form.

Has anyone had experience with this or can you think of way to solve this?
Woodstock

Re: Discs with "Cine-Explore" or "Movie Magic" feature failing to rip

Post by Woodstock »

Often, the "picture in picture" or "behind the scenes" information is implemented as a subtitle track. The Star Trek Original Series BDs have this. Make sure you rip all subtitle tracks if you want to have it available.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Goose

Re: Discs with "Cine-Explore" or "Movie Magic" feature failing to rip

Post by Goose »

I've seen that be the case with the Muppet Show DVDs as well.

With these discs, though, I'm not even able to get to the point of checking the subtitles. When I'm trying to rip the movie from the blu-ray to make an mkv, it fails every time. The other files on the disc all come off fine, but the actual movie. Both Harry Potter 5 and Inception list long segment maps (30 sections), which I suspect may be related to them failing to rip. The thing is, MakeMKV isn't an especially complex program, so I don't know of many settings I can adjust to see if it would help the movies rip successfully.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this or do you have any suggestions on what might lead to a success rip of the movie?