Lord of the Rings extra disk errors (PAL)

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
thebailey

Lord of the Rings extra disk errors (PAL)

Post by thebailey »

MakeMKV has been awesome / bulletproof, but after dozens of rips, I've hit a snag trying to rip the extras from Lord of the Rings - Fellowship of the Rings. There are 3 'extras' disks, and the first one reads half the files before crashing, and the second reads none of the files before crashing, haven't tried the third. The disks with the movie on it rip fine. Can you tell me what's going wrong / how to fix it?
MakeMKV_log - LOTR-FOTR-D4(extras).txt
(21.25 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Woodstock

Re: Lord of the Rings extra disk errors (PAL)

Post by Woodstock »

004004:0000 The source file '/VIDEO_TS/VTS_11_1.VOB' is corrupt or invalid at offset 532480, attempting to work around
Your drive is having issues reading the disk. Probably simple cleaning will take care of it.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
thebailey

Post by thebailey »

Nope, the disks are new out of the box, and it happens with none of the movie disks, and the same problem happens with all 6 of the extras disks. Are there any other solutions?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"New, out of the box" means NOTHING.

I have had disks arrive scratched, in sealed-from-the-factory packaging, including the replacement disks. They weren't even loose in the packaging; the scratches had occurred in the manufacturing process. Cleaning didn't help those.

I have had disks arrive coated in a chemical haze, because they were sealed-from-the-factory with packaging that wasn't properly washed. A damp cloth was all it took to make those readable.

That's why this message is stuck to the top of the BD forum: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15055

Maybe I should move it to the general section, so people don't think it's a BD-only issue...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging