Newbie questions

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
MakeDVD

Newbie questions

Post by MakeDVD »

I attempted to open a Blu-ray disk from MakeMKV but received errors and the message: "The volume key is unknown for this disc - video can't be decrypted". The disk AACS folder contains a file Unit_key_RO.inf which contains a 16 byte hex number. Is this what they mean? I've searched this forum and the help on the website and learned a lot but not enough to solve this problem. Can anyone enlighten me as to what this means and how to proceed? Thanks in advance.
Woodstock

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Woodstock »

Follow the instructions in the FAQ link in my signature to turn debug logging on, and scan the disk again. Post the log information in a message here, so we can see what is going on.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
MakeDVD

Post by MakeDVD »

Thank you for your response. Debug log file attached.
MakeMKV_log.txt
(16.12 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The log shows a lot of errors where the operating system "bounced" MakeMKV's commands to the drive. Mike will have to look at the data to tell definitively, but Windows may be having issues with the drive, OR you're running it in a non-privileged user account, and Windows is just doing its usual security stuff.

It is possible to set a security policy that allows MakeMKV full access to the drive, but the simplest thing to test would be to start MakeMKV by RIGHT clicking on the icon, and select "Run as Administrator". If it then works, it's a security issue, rather than a hardware one.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging