Blu-Ray Drive lockout

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
crhrwc

Blu-Ray Drive lockout

Post by crhrwc »

As I said before, my LG WH16NS40 drive is locked out, won't read any BD's after I tried reading a disc with the v68 key and makemkv v1.12.2.

So I moved the drive to another system and installed makemkv v1.14.2 and tried to read the v68 disc and it failed with the same "ILLEGAL REQUEST:COPY PROTECTION KEY EXCHANGE FAILURE".

Here's the odd part. On the second system the drive IS NOT locked out, I can read other BD discs fine. Both systems show "Highest AACS version: 68". When I move the drive back to the computer I have makemkv v1.12.2 it's still locked out, can't read any BD's.

So is the computer or the makemkv version? I thought "locked out" meant there was no way to get the drive to work again?

The system the drive does not work on is "Lenovo ThinkCentre M93p - MT - Core i7 4770" Fedora 25, makemkv v1.12.2
The system the drive does work on is "Lenovo G50" Fedora 28, makemkv v1.14.2
Last edited by crhrwc on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"
maiteekwin

Re: Blu-Ray Drive lockout

Post by maiteekwin »

Try uninstalling makemkv v.1.12.2 and install the new verison: v.1.14.2

I did that and it worked for me
crhrwc

Post by crhrwc »

Great to know that works, I'm going to upgrade my OS soon and move to v.1.14.2.
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"
crhrwc

Post by crhrwc »

Well upgrading my Fedora 25 desktop, which makemkv is licensed to, so I can move from makemkv v.1.12.2 to v.1.14.2 is going to take longer than I thought due to some other things I'm running there.

So, plan B, run makemkv inside a VM. Not sure anyone else is doing this, but it works fine, I now have v.1.14.2 running inside a Fedora 28 VM, on my Fedora 25 desktop.

Only trouble was fiddling with KVM to get it to use USB 3 instead of the default USB 2 interface.
Fedora Linux.
What's a "Windows?"