Full Disc Backup Issue

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
TheEvilMayor

Full Disc Backup Issue

Post by TheEvilMayor »

So I've been backing up most of my Blu-Ray collection recently using full disc backups. I ran into a problem disc that would have a "backup failed" error due to a read issue. Always the same file, but not always the same location. I have two drives, and it happened with both.

As a work around, I tried copying the files over manually, which surprisingly worked, and then used the encrypted backup trick to get the discatt.dat file MakeMKV needs to open the files. However, opening this just brings me to the menu to copy specific titles. Is there any way to create a full disc backup from what I have, or is that only possible with the actual disc?

I ask this because I have software that can play back the full disc backups as if the disc were inserted in a drive, and that's not possible with the workaround files.
njgura87

Re: Full Disc Backup Issue

Post by njgura87 »

I was wondering if you could point me to the post with the copy files to local hard disk work around. I'm having this same issue with a dozen or so movies.
TheEvilMayor

Post by TheEvilMayor »

I'm not sure I can find the exact post, but here's what you do:

Open the disc in your finder (mac) or explorer (windows).
Copy all the files on the disc into a folder on your computer. If this fails, there's not much you can do, as it probably means the disc is damaged and not readable to the degree needed to copy the data from it.

If that succeeds, then you need to open MakeMKV (using the same disc drive used to copy the files), and start a full disc backup—however, it needs to be an encrypted backup (uncheck the decrypt option).

Once that has started and created the discatt.dtt file, you can stop the backup (since it won't work anyways). Then you copy that discatt.dtt file into the folder where you copied the files from the disc.

Once that's been done, you should be able to open that folder using MakeMKV, which will allow you to save titles from it.
rockcloud

Post by rockcloud »

TheEvilMayor wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:58 pm
So I've been backing up most of my Blu-Ray collection recently using full disc backups. I ran into a problem disc that would have a "backup failed" error due to a read issue. Always the same file, but not always the same location. I have two drives, and it happened with both.

As a work around, I tried copying the files over manually, which surprisingly worked, and then used the encrypted backup trick to get the discatt.dat file MakeMKV needs to open the files. However, opening this just brings me to the menu to copy specific titles. Is there any way to create a full disc backup from what I have, or is that only possible with the actual disc?

I ask this because I have software that can play back the full disc backups as if the disc were inserted in a drive, and that's not possible with the workaround files.
First, thanks for the tip on the discatt.dat file. That made it possible for me to backup discs that may have physical reading problem.

Now to your question of full disc backups. I use ddrescue to rescue the discs with reading problem. I use the following two commands in ubuntu:

#1 to find out the dvd/blu-ray drive name, in my case it is sr0.
lsblk -o name,label,size,fstype,model

#2 to rescue the bad discs
ddrescue -d -r2 /dev/sr0 name.iso name.log

The resulting file "name.iso" can be mounted and then played by some software such as Leawo blu-ray player on Windows, but not VLC because it is still encrypted as the original disc. So yes, you can get a rescued (meaning not 100% correct) full disc backup but encrypted. However, together with the extra discatt.dat file, it can be used by makeMKV to convert into mkv file, which is decrypted.
stehohrhase

Post by stehohrhase »

I have tried this, but it did not work for me.

What i tried:

- Backup the full disk, gives me read errors at several position.
- It is no different if i select decrypted mode or not.

- Backup complete disk with Windowsexplorer and not running makemkv works without error.
- Start makemkv and full backup to create discatt.dat
- copy discatt.dat to the folder with the files copyied by windows
- open with makemkv: The disk cannot be decrypted.

What i found out now.

i get different data in the *.m2ts files. Only the first 16 Bytes are the same:

Copy with windows explorer (not running makemkv) and Makemkv (not decrypted) gives different data in the files.
Copy with windows explorer (running makemkv) and Makemkv (not decrypted) gives the same data in the files, but i get also a read error at several position during copy.

The help files says: The simple workaround is to copy all files from the disc to the hard drive manually, without MakeMKV running.

But with this i get files, i can not decrypt.

Is it normal, to get 3 different *.m2ts files (Encrypted/Decrypted/Windowsexplorer) ?

How to do the magic ? Somebody can help ?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Errors during copy points to a dirty or otherwise damaged disk. Have you tried cleaning it?
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
stehohrhase

Post by stehohrhase »

yes

How i can decrypt a backup with windows explorer?