Subtitles for a specific DVD come out garbled

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
EclipseGST303

Subtitles for a specific DVD come out garbled

Post by EclipseGST303 »

So I have the Invader Zim DVD set, and I would like to RIP them with MakeMKV. I can do so, but the subtitles come out looking like some kind of alien language(Invader Zim, alien, haha).

Here is an image.

https://imgur.com/a/Cc7gFP4

What is really weird is that if you obtain a Blu-Ray rip by other means, it also has the same garbled subtitles. I never have any problems with subtitles on any other movie or show.

I would like to watch it on Plex, but also every player I have tried displays the same weird subtitles. My Roku, PC, phone, etc do not show the correct subs. Is there anything that can be done? Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks for any help.
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles for a specific DVD come out garbled

Post by Woodstock »

So, are we talking about a DVD or a Bluray here?

How many subtitle tracks were there?

Edited to add: There apparently are at least two "complete ZIM DVD" sets out there. And one has a comment on Amazon:
-NO SUBTITLES. When did this come out again? 2011? There is no excuse for a DVD to not have subtitles.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
EclipseGST303

Re: Subtitles for a specific DVD come out garbled

Post by EclipseGST303 »

Woodstock wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:34 am
So, are we talking about a DVD or a Bluray here?

How many subtitle tracks were there?

Edited to add: There apparently are at least two "complete ZIM DVD" sets out there. And one has a comment on Amazon:
-NO SUBTITLES. When did this come out again? 2011? There is no excuse for a DVD to not have subtitles.
Well I guess that explains it. I have the DVD set, and I guess I never tried to actually watch the DVDs. They have the option to turn on subtitles, but it doesn't say English, it says "Other" and they look like the screenshot even when watching the actual DVD. I have no idea what they are or why it has these crazy subs, but it does. So it is no MakeMKV related, just a weird box set.

Thanks for your help.