Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hash error check

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
iFrog

Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hash error check

Post by iFrog »

Hey guys,
Just purchased the Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4k set from Walmart today. The 4K disc is playing fine, however the blu-ray (which I rip) gave hash errors for the movie title and said it was corrupt.

I'm using MakeMKV 14.4 on macOS Mojave 10.14.5. Since it's rare that I've gotten a bad disc, I assumed software, so I'm using Aurora blu-ray copy to make a DRM free iso of the disc. So far this is working without issues.
As I'm writing this, it's over 50% done.

I know Walmart allows exchange for the exact same item when it comes to movies, however should I assume bad disc, or MakeMKV bug? I did read the site info on m2ts hash check errors, and since it's a new drive, and it's been working all along, and it's working now in this different program, I'm going to point to MakeMKV as the problem for now. Anyway if anyone can offer other feedback please feel free to.

I'll try running MakeMKV on the DRM free image once it's done.
iFrog

Re: Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Hash error check

Post by iFrog »

Hey all, here is an update.

I was able to successfully copy the blu-ray with Aurora blu-ray copy. However, MakeMKV still has Hash check errors on the .iso file.

Then I returned the first copy to Walmart, the second one has the same issues with MakeMKV, while the disc plays fine on a stand alone blu-ray player.

I reverted to MakeMKV 14.3 and that did not fix the issues. I had just ripped the Justice legume vs the fatal five without issues about a week or 2 earlier.

Looks like this is a mastering issue and MakeMKV, as the drive can read the disc to copy it, it also plays in a stand alone player, More then one copy had the exact same issues, and, the non DRM version didn't work either.

Usually if it's a physical problem with the disc, I've been able to make an iso from it (if it's readable), and then can get the movie with MakeMKV.

This is the first brand new disc I haven't been able to rip.

One last piece of info here, I'm using an LG BP50NB40 USB 2 blu-ray writer. The drive is connected DIRECTLY to the iMac vs connected to a hub. As mentioned, the drive has worked perfectly for both read / write operations on all media types I've needed to use. The Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Blu-ray Disc is the first disc to give me ANY issues with MakeMKV, that wasn't related to physical damage to the disc.
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

Hey all, since I haven't heard back yet from anyone. I wanted to post the rest of my testing and conclusions from yesterday.

This disc appears to use a new form of encryption MakeMKV isn't able to handle yet.

Here is a list of steps and results I took yesterday to isolate the problem as best as I can.

First off, I exchanged the disc for a new one, and had the same issues with new disc when it comes to encryption and getting the movie off.

Second, tried 2 versions of MakeMKV, the latest, and the second latest version. Both had issues, the older version had worse issues regarding hash check errors.

Then I tried a different program, "Aurora Blu-ray Copy" which hasn't been updated for a while, however was able to break the root level of encryption, and at least make an ISO of the Blu-ray Disc in question.
Next I got creative and went into the BDM folder opened playlists, found the correct M2ts file referenced and copied to the desktop. However the file would not play, which leads me to believe it wasn't decrypted correctly.

So, I took into consideration it could be a drive issue, so I did 2 testes:

1, I loaded the disc into MacGo blu-ray player Pro, and the drive read the disc without issues, and playback was normal.
2. I tried a disc that I had already successfully ripped from the same studio, and also a new release, and that ripped without problems on the latest version of MakeMKV, so I think it's safe to say the drive isn't the issue here

With everything said and done It looks like encryption problems with this particular title. I was hoping to report this directly to the developer, however there doesn't seem to be a way to email directly here.

Please, if someone has a solution I haven't tried, or a better way to reach the developer to report this problem, respond. Thanks

System specs are:

iMac 27" late 2015, macOS Mojave 10.14.5
MakeMKV 14.4
Blu-ray Drive LG BP50NB40

Problem disc: Batman vs Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (standard blu-ray). from the 4k package.
Test disc used to confirm ripping success (standard blu-ray Justice League vs The Fatal Five), from 4k package as well.

Hope this re post and conclusions is enough info now. Thanks again.
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

What's about an Debug log to see what happens during the rip?

If it is a 4K UHD disc, this is the wrong sub fourm. There is a extra sub forum for UHD discs.
Good Luck :)

Post by iFrog »

Grauhaar wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:13 pm
What's about an Debug log to see what happens during the rip?

If it is a 4K UHD disc, this is the wrong sub fourm. There is a extra sub forum for UHD discs.
How would I do the log? It's not the 4K disc, it's the standard blu-ray. I buy the 4K disc package of movies now that have the 4k disc + blu-ray vs the blu-ray vs DVD package.

I'm sorry if there was confusion. I don't rip 4k Discs, I rip the standard Blu-ray Discs, I just use the 4k discs in the player without ripping the content.
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

Hey guys, another update. I got the movie ripped! but with a lot of protest from MakeMKV. Yesterday it would just fail.

Today it got the movie ripped. Below is the line that kept repeating. Since it was the same line, I didn't copy all of it just to shorten the post:

file '/BDMV/STREAM/00104.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 1701888, attempting to work around
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00104.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 1701888, attempting to work around
The source file '/BDMV/STREAM/00104.m2ts' is corrupt or invalid at offset 1701888, attempting to work around
Forced subtitles track #7 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #9 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #11 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #13 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #15 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #17 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #19 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #21 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #23 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Forced subtitles track #25 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
Encountered 1 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
1 titles saved
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

Debug Log: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8
Today it got the movie ripped. Below is the line that kept repeating.
Sorry, that confusing. First you say rip was okay, but in the provided infos the is the HASH error due to some problems.

The above infos indicates, that MakeMKV cannot interpret the content. Maybe the debug log shows more infos.
Good Luck :)

Post by iFrog »

Grauhaar wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:25 am
Debug Log: https://www.makemkv.com/faq/item/8
Today it got the movie ripped. Below is the line that kept repeating.
Sorry, that confusing. First you say rip was okay, but in the provided infos the is the HASH error due to some problems.

The above infos indicates, that MakeMKV cannot interpret the content. Maybe the debug log shows more infos.
I understand why this came across confusing. Monday, when I initially purchased the discs, MakeMKV spit out that info in the above post, and simply failed. Yesterday When I tried again, the info got spit out again, however, the rip was able to be completed. I did test the file created, and it plays without issues as well. I apologize for not simply pasting a log Monday. In all my years of using MakeMKV, this is the first real issue I've had, so I never had to use the debug features. The only issues I've had with MakeMKV failing were with physically damaged discs that were old, and they were DVD, not Blu-ray.

My initial concluding thoughts here are:

1. Warner Bros, used some new encryption scheme on this title, which MakeMKV doesn't fully understand yet
2. They had a bad master, the reasoning behind this conclusion is, even after removing encryption and passing an unencrypted ISO to MakeMKV, it had the same issues. No optical drive, or physical media present to rule out damaged media / failing drive.

I will try another rip today, after reading the link about debug log, and post the log just so people know for sure.
iFrog

Post by iFrog »

Hey guys,

Just wanted to post an update here: I have sent the MakeMKV debug log, and playlists, and clipsinf folders from the disc to: support@makemkv.com (per instructions in the above link for providing a debug log.)

I haven't gotten a response yet, however, I wanted to also add that I purchased the Indiana Jones blu-ray set, and all those movies ripped without problems. While as I mentioned above, I did get batman vs the turtles to rip, the disc does have encryption issues. So I mainly followed through for others that may have issues, and so the problem can be taken care of.