Subtitles not detected

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
vmyles

Subtitles not detected

Post by vmyles »

Hi

I have a German blu-ray disk - Der Geschmack von Leben - that contains subtitles. If I load the disk in VLC and go to the main menu there is a screen where I can select English subtitles and the disk plays with subtitles displayed. However when I open the disk in MakeMkv (1.14.4) the subtitle streams are not detected, I only see the video and the audio. I was wondering if anyone had seen this before and if the were any settings that might be tweaked to make this work. Thanks.

Regards

--Vinny
Woodstock

Re: Subtitles not detected

Post by Woodstock »

Some disks have multiple play lists that have the same video content, but different selections of audio and subtitle tracks.

Disks from GKids, for example, will have an English version that has no Japanese audio, and a different set of subtitles tracks, from the Japanese audio version. Both versions come from the same transport stream files, just with different play lists controlling the content.

MakeMKV respects the play lists. Check to see if there is a different play list that has what you're looking for. Sometimes, MakeMKV will display the alternatives as a "different angle".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

BDInfo might help with that.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
vmyles

Post by vmyles »

First off thank you for the replies. I eventually solved the mystery. There are three copies of the feature on the disk. One with no subtitles, one with German subtitles and one with English subtitles. The subtitles are hard coded.. I guess selecting subtitles in the disks UI selects which copy of the feature to load. I was going crazy looking for subtitle streams somewhere and there weren't any. Lesson learned.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

That alternative is unexpected...

You'd think it is wasteful to have 3 copies, but, there is a lot of space on a BD, and it costs the same to stamp them if they are 20% full as when they're 100% full.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging