Pirates of the Caribbean 1 The Curse of the Black Pearl - Which of the two versions is correct?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike_mgoblue

Pirates of the Caribbean 1 The Curse of the Black Pearl - Which of the two versions is correct?

Post by mike_mgoblue »

On the Blu-ray of Pirates of the Caribbean 1 - The Curse of the Black Pearl - there are actually two potential MKV files that can be seen.

The First one says:

Title information
Source file name: 00001.mpls
Duration: 2:23:15
Chapters count: 17
Size: 31.5 GB
Segment count: 2
Segment map: 1,2
File name: title_t00.mkv

The Second one says:

Source file name: 00009.mpls
Duration: 2:23:14
Chapters count: 16
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 1
File name: title_t02.mkv

Which version is correct? Is there a difference?

I ripped both versions. The "Title information" of the first version "claims" to have 17 "Chapters." However the "Title information" actually has only 16 "Chapters" when it is ripped. The second version has 16 "Chapters" when it is ripped.

Also, according to the "Title information," there is a difference of 1 second in the "Duration" of the movie. But, when you play the movie this is not correct. When you play both versions you see that both versions have a Duration of 2:23:15. The interesting thing is that when you hover the mouse over the two files, both of the files show a Duration of 2:23:14.

Any help would be appreciated. If there really is a difference in the Segment count, does this mean the is an important difference?

One difference I did find is that the first file has five different English audio tracks that were selected - including the Lossless 24-bit PCM version of 5.1 audio. The second file only has one version of audio available to select - it is the English 640kbs Dolby Digital 5.1 audio.

There is also a third file name. This third file does have all the audio tracks available to select in all the language found in the first file. However, this file seems to be different because it is a ".m2ts" rather than a ".mpls" file. What is the difference?

The Third one says:

Source file name: 00001.m2ts
Duration: 2:23:14
Segment count: 1
Segment map: 1
File name: title_t07.mkv
Grauhaar

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 1 The Curse of the Black Pearl - Which of the two versions is correct?

Post by Grauhaar »

What's about backup the disc an view/check the stream element 00002.m2ts to figure it out ???? Sorry, I wrote this solution many times, also in the your last MIB thread. It's very easy to find the correct playlist. Easy task!

A MPLS file is a playlist and not an M2TS video stream file, it describes the included sgement parts (the M2TS files) to build the movie file. It also includes the list of chapters, audio and subtitle streams for selection.
Good Luck :)

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 1 The Curse of the Black Pearl - Which of the two versions is correct?

Post by mike_mgoblue »

Grauhaar wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:54 pm
What's about backup the disc an view/check the stream element 00002.m2ts to figure it out ???? Sorry, I wrote this solution many times, also in the your last MIB thread. It's very easy to find the correct playlist. Easy task!

A MPLS file is a playlist and not an M2TS video stream file, it describes the included sgement parts (the M2TS files) to build the movie file. It also includes the list of chapters, audio and subtitle streams for selection.
Thank you for taking the time to reply regarding this movie and also MIB. The only problem is, even after painstakingly watching both versions of MIB International simultaneously on, I still cannot see or hear any difference between the two versions. They seem to be identical in virtually every way except the "Title" information provided by the MakeMKV software.

Pirates of the Caribbean suffers from the same problem. MakeMKV says one has 17 chapters, while the other has 16 chapters. But when you rip them, you see the one that supposedly has "17" actually has only "16."

PROBLEM SOLVED: I do have some good news, though.

I kept comparing things in this Pirates of the Caribbean movie, and I eventually was able to find out significant differences.

The first file allows you to download up to five different audio tracks. This includes the 5.1 24-bit Lossless version, the 5.1 640kbs Dolby Digital version, and three 2.0 audio channels where different directors and actors are speaking throughout the movie. There are also four different "Subtitles" that can be downloaded - in order to match up with the audio streams I mentioned above.

The second file only allows you to download only one audio channel - only the one that is Dolby Digital 5.1 640kbs. There are two different "Subtitles" that can be downloaded. The first one matches the 5.1 audio track. But the second "Subtitle" is a special type of Subtitle that shows the "Scoundrels of the Sea" feature from the movie. This is very important.

So, what I did was use the MKVToolnix GUI to add this important Subtitle to the file with the five audio tracks. This created a complete version of the movie. Problem solved! :-)