Haywire - makes drive system haywire

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Krawk

Haywire - makes drive system haywire

Post by Krawk »

The movie "Haywire", a LionsGate title causes MakeMKV version 1.14.7 to go haywire and hang the disk subsystem in Windows 10. I start the program, I insert the disc, the program does the spnny-spinny animation to determine if there is a disc in the drive. It never gets to the point to say what the disc is, what protections etc. The light on the drive goes out, but the program continues with the spinny animation. The system disk activity light stays on solid while the drive light stays off. Logging out of Windows does not remedy the issue. Trying to Shut Down Windows, all you get is the spinny spinny from Windows as it says Shutting Down, but it never shuts down. Only choice is to physically press reset or power off the PC. Attempting to kill the MakeMKV app does not resolve the issue.
Before we say the disc is bad, AnyDVD had no problems analyzing the disc, and CloneBD is able to convert the disc just fine. Next, I will leave AnyDVD running and load MakeMKV to see if the issue still persists, but I suspect MakeMKV will work in that combination.
As I cannot create a log to send to Mike, what should I do here to work this glitch out with MakeMKV to help future revisions, as it might be a random/common enough glitch that could affect other titles? Here is the status screen from AnyDVD, indicating nothing special:

Code: Select all

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD HD 8.4.3.0, BDPHash.bin 19-09-17)
PIONEER BD-RWBDR-208M 1.50 
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1
Current profile: BD-ROM
Media is a Blu-ray disc.

Total size: 17807520 sectors (34780 MBytes)
Video Blu-ray label: HAYWIRE
Media is AACS protected!
AACS MKB version 28
Drive supports bus encryption!
Removed AACS copy protection!
Note: automatic detection of region code not possible with this disc.
Possible Blu-ray Java region lock removed!
Blu-ray Java signatures fixed!
BD-Live deactivated!
Removed UOPs!
Bad sector protection not found.
Krawk

Re: Haywire - makes drive system haywire

Post by Krawk »

[Edit] --- tested just now. With AnyDVD running first, MakeMKV does not crash the disk io system.
Although this is a workaround, it is not a solution.
Just let me know what I can provide to try to help.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Very strange... Can you please, without MakemKv or AnyDVD running:

Insert the disc in drive, wait for it to be recognized
Navigate to the files in windows explorer (just to make sure you can see files on disc)
Launch MakeMKV and see what happens.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

mike admin wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:58 pm
Very strange... Can you please, without MakemKv or AnyDVD running:

Insert the disc in drive, wait for it to be recognized
Navigate to the files in windows explorer (just to make sure you can see files on disc)
Launch MakeMKV and see what happens.
Will test this tonight.....
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

As suggested, I viewed the disc from Windows Explorer without any issues.
Next, with the Explorer window still open, I opened MakeMKV.
Am now using 1.15.0 --- problem does not seem to present itself any more. At first it looked like it was going to give the same problem, but a few seconds later (maybe 12 seconds) the first screen loaded, indicating the name of the disc and the fact it has aacs v28.
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

3:10 To Yuma, another older LionsGate release causes the same issue. I figured out it is partly an impatience thing.
MakeMKV tries to look at the disc, the optical drive light goes out, the HDD drive light stays solid. 3 minutes later the system returns. There is a 1 in 3 chance makemkv will not allow you to click the first disc icon to analyze the disc, a mouse over says "this disc can not be read".

Within Windows though, without MakeMKV, the disc is recognized in about 5 seconds every time and you can navigate the disc folders.