Back up

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Anametureenthisiast

Back up

Post by Anametureenthisiast »

Hi All

I am beginning to back up my bluray disks fully and I thought I would reach out as to the option it give me, as I don't understand the benefits (or not) of ticking the box "decrypt video files".

The software seems to suggest either way the backup will need opening with MAKEMKV or is this not the case?

Are there any other advice/tips when backing up large bluray collections (apart from a lot of space!?)

Thanks all
Woodstock

Re: Back up

Post by Woodstock »

If you do not remove the encryption during the backup, whatever you use to play the video has to have the decryption key for the disk.

This is not a problem if your intention is to then use MakeMKV to create MKV files, but most playback programs will need to have the encryption removed first.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Anametureenthisiast

Post by Anametureenthisiast »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:39 pm
If you do not remove the encryption during the backup, whatever you use to play the video has to have the decryption key for the disk.

This is not a problem if your intention is to then use MakeMKV to create MKV files, but most playback programs will need to have the encryption removed first.
so if I decrypt the files then any dvd movie player can play it like a normal disk (except in bluray quality ofc).
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

DVD players expect MPEG2 video, and BD content is usually h264, although there are disks out there that use a variant of VC-1, and UHD content is almost always h265.

VLC, Kodi, and more can play the unencrypted BD backup files. I haven't tried to do it with the Win10 movie player. The Win7 player could not, at least not with out special "codec packs".
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging