How to rip chronological version of "Memento"

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
fritzifu

How to rip chronological version of "Memento"

Post by fritzifu »

I'm trying to rip the chronological version of Memento from the BluRay. The only other thread i've found about this is this one, but its no help. The chronological version definetly is on the bluray, I can watch it with VLC. However, MakeMKV only shows one version, the original one, and there is only one .m2ts for the movie on the bluray, also the original version.

The chronological verision is a little shorter than the original one and VLC shows them as separate tracks when playing the BluRay: Image

Any ideas how to do this?
Last edited by fritzifu on Mon May 25, 2020 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koberulz

Re: How to rip chronological version of "Memento"

Post by koberulz »

What do you see in MakeMKV?

The chronological version is SD as far as i know, so it could be significantly smaller and you're not realising it isn't one of the shorter bonus features.
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

koberulz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am
What do you see in MakeMKV?
From Top to bottom:
1. Main Feature, the original version
2. + 3. Interview with Nolan and Making of, both ~20min long
rest: 2 min long, featurettes or something like that
koberulz wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:55 am
The chronological version is SD as far as i know
I could be mistaken, but it looks HD to me. VLC also doesnt resize the window when viewing the CV, which it does for the SD bonus features.
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

I have a different release, but it shows up for me. And it's in SD, as I thought.
Screenshot 2020-05-23 00.59.05.png
Screenshot 2020-05-23 00.59.05.png (88.17 KiB) Viewed 15999 times
koberulz

Post by koberulz »

And actually, looking at that it's in SD PAL, which would cause it to be about five minutes shorter for the same amount of footage. So I'd say yours is SD PAL too, and that explains the different durations. After all, it's just the same footage in a different order so they should have the same runtime.
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

So I went ahead and ripped everything that showed up in MakeMKV, and then I made a decrypted backup and looked at all the individual .m2ts files. There's the movie of course, OV, then theres an interview with Nolan and anatomy of a scene, 23 and 25 minutes respectively, both in SD. Then there are 6 short trailer-esque clips for 6 movies, each about 2 minutes long. One of them isn't showing up in the screenshot I shared because it's under 2 min. Then there's the age restriction and piracy warnings that always play and some more bonus features stuff, but there definitely isn't an extra file for the CV.

The chronological version is definitely HD, and the shorter duration is caused by the overlapping parts of the coloured parts being removed in the CV.

Is it possible to just look what pressing that button in the menu tells the player to do? I don't know that much about how bluray menus and playlists work, but maybe there is like a file that tells the player to just jump forward and backwards to certain timestamps in the original versions .m2ts? If thats possible?
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Do you by chance have MkvToolnixGUI installed? In the multiplexer, if you right click and go to "Add file" and then in your BluRay folder select the "BDMV\index.bdmv" file, it will list just any playlist on the disk longer than 120 seconds (that's the default, can be changed in Options -> Multiplexer -> Playlists & BluRays).

You also can sort for the duration column. Is the SD variant listed there? On the details window on the right you also would see the m2ts files used.
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

Great suggestion! MkxToolnixGUI shows the chronological version, at least the duration and the amount of chapter are correct. However, it shows the size as 1.4 TB.

Here's a screenshot, 00005.mpls is the one. It shows as having more chapters than the original version, but VLC shows 24 chapters for the OV and 45 for the CV too, so I guess thats correct.

Also, the playlist for the OV just contains 00004.m2ts once, while the CV contains it 45 times, so i guess it just tells the player to jump around on the file of the OV? But looking at the file size, it seems that it contains the ENTIRE file 45 times...

Soooo... is there a way to rip that playlist, preferably with a file smaller than 1.4TB?
Last edited by fritzifu on Mon May 25, 2020 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Some playlists are just bogus, repeating the same file again and again.

In your screenshot it also lists the 00004.mt2s repeatedly.

Somehow I guess, the playlist 00004.mpls also shows 00004.mt2s as playlist item?
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

Yes, 00004.mpls just contains 00004.m2ts once, I just edited and added some more info
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

Ok so I just opened 00005.mpls in BDedit to look at the content and it in fact does tell the player to play the different segments of the original 00004.m2ts file in the chronological order:

Currently trying to rip it by just telling MKVToolNix to create a mkv, hopefully it wont try to make a 1.4TB file...

Ill edit when it works/fails
Ezatoka

Post by Ezatoka »

Does MakeMKV upon opening the disc say something about identical playlists?

And your Chronological Version can't be SD then, when it's accessing the same file as the main movie I think.
fritzifu

Post by fritzifu »

MakeMKV says it skips 00024.mpls as it's identical with 00004.mpls. (MKVToolNix seems to confirm that looking at the listed playlists). 00005.mpls does not show up at all. It actually doesn't mention any other playlists except those two, just the .m2ts files directly.

Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

MakeMKV cannot rip this playlist, because it ignores the In-Out timestamps. MakeMKV rips always the complete specified m2ts file in an mpls. I think that's the reason why it is a duplicate to the other playlist, because it points to the same m2ts file.
Good Luck :)

Post by fritzifu »

Do you know a program that doesn't? MKVToolNix seems to ignore them too... Otherwise the only option I see would be to take an editing program and cut the CV myself...

EDIT: While MKVToolNix was displaying the wrong size and gave a time estimate that was wayy to long, the first few seconds it had already put into the file before I aborted actually look promising, they're in chronological order. Running it again, reporting back in a while if it works.