I can't Rip some recorded movies

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dane2020

I can't Rip some recorded movies

Post by dane2020 »

First I want to say this is a fantastic program.

I have some movies that I have recorded on danish tv. Now I have choosen to move them all to a USB harddrive as mkv files. In the beginning it worked fine,
but I have some movies recorded on tv channels with commercials in the movie, I have removed the commercials before I burned them down a blu-ray disc. But the
strange thing is that makemkv will not save this files on my harddrive. It read the disc without problems, but when I choose to make the mkv, then it stop before 100% and
write an error message. I thought maybe the disc was broken, but I did a test with a movie that I had on my blu-ray recorder and burned the movie down on 2 blu-ray disc and also with 3 other movies on the same disc. 3 movies recorded from tv channels with no commercials in the movie and 1 movie where I have removed the commercials. The one where I have removed the commercials made the same error on both disc in the program.

Any idea what is wrong and can I do something so makemkv can rip the movie ?

Now I fear that I have some movies and tv series with danish subtitles that I have recorded in tv that I can't save and I can't buy them on original DVD or Blu-ray because they have never been released with danish subtitles.

Please help
Woodstock

Re: I can't Rip some recorded movies

Post by Woodstock »

If the disks you burned were not encrypted, MakeMKV should not be needed. There are a number of tools out there that understand "standard" bluray disk layouts, as long as no encryption is involved.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
dane2020

Post by dane2020 »

Woodstock wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:51 pm
If the disks you burned were not encrypted, MakeMKV should not be needed. There are a number of tools out there that understand "standard" bluray disk layouts, as long as no encryption is involved.
I do not know about if it is encrypted, I am not huge computer expert. I have recorded it on a panasonic blu-ray recorder, it also plays fine on a philips blu-ray player that I have. But on my computer my vlc media player can't play the blu-ray disc :?

oh what programs can I use ? I have tried to look for same but I can't find any that is free to use :(
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

dane2020 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 pm
Woodstock wrote:
I do not know about if it is encrypted, I am not huge computer expert. I have recorded it on a panasonic blu-ray recorder, it also plays fine on a philips blu-ray player that I have. But on my computer my vlc media player can't play the blu-ray disc :?

oh what programs can I use ? I have tried to look for same but I can't find any that is free to use :(
If it is standard blu-ray structure, try mkvtoolnix. Just load the .mpls or .m2ts file, select the tracks you want and output a mkv file.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

dane2020 wrote:
I have some movies that I have recorded on danish tv. Now I have choosen to move them all to a USB harddrive as mkv files. In the beginning it worked fine, but I have some movies recorded on tv channels with commercials in the movie, I have removed the commercials before I burned them down a blu-ray disc.
Can you be more specific about what you are doing? I record live TV occasionally but the video is saved as .mpg and I use Handbrake to convert and compress that to .mkv. MakeMKV is not used in the process. The .mkv files are stored on a hard drive or as data on a blu-ray disc.

Maybe the software used to remove the commercials damaged the .mkv files. Can you re-mux them with mkvtoolnix?
dane2020

Post by dane2020 »

MartyMcNuts wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 11:38 pm
dane2020 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 3:36 pm
Woodstock wrote:

If it is standard blu-ray structure, try mkvtoolnix. Just load the .mpls or .m2ts file, select the tracks you want and output a mkv file.
Thanks I will try that :D
dane2020

Post by dane2020 »

jinx100 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am
dane2020 wrote:
I have some movies that I have recorded on danish tv. Now I have choosen to move them all to a USB harddrive as mkv files. In the beginning it worked fine, but I have some movies recorded on tv channels with commercials in the movie, I have removed the commercials before I burned them down a blu-ray disc.
Can you be more specific about what you are doing? I record live TV occasionally but the video is saved as .mpg and I use Handbrake to convert and compress that to .mkv. MakeMKV is not used in the process. The .mkv files are stored on a hard drive or as data on a blu-ray disc.

Maybe the software used to remove the commercials damaged the .mkv files. Can you re-mux them with mkvtoolnix?
I can try, I start after the recording, if you want me to go back then let me know :D

1. I put the blu-ray in the drive on my pc

2. Then I open the Makemkv program

3. The program is on danish which very nice since I am from denmark :lol: so I am not totally sure what the buttons is called on english. But I try my best.
In the program I hit the disc drive icon called open blu-ray, then it read the disc and there come a box for each movie on the disc that I can mark with a checkmark.

4. I mark the movie that I want to add as an MKV file on my c drive with a checkmark.

5. Then I go to the right on the program and choose the folder on the C drive where I want to add the MKV file.

6. Now I go a little more to the right in the program and hit the button that looks like harddrive with a green arrown on it. Button says make mkv file.

7. it fuck and make and error. But only with movies from channels where I removed commercials. I have now tried with about 60 movies that I have recorded in tv 55 movies works perfect that I recorded from non commercial channels, but 5 movies that is recorded from commercial channels here it fuck up and will not save the movie.
jinx100

Post by jinx100 »

MakeMKV is used to remove encryption from commercial discs. If you made the disc yourself, it would not be encrypted. You should be able to open the disc with any file explorer.