HELP: Poor quality rips, no errors

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Hawkobo

HELP: Poor quality rips, no errors

Post by Hawkobo »

Hello, just joined this forum so I could post this after trying out makeMKV. I'm trying to rip my Blu rays so I can use them on a Plex server. I have tried 3 different blu rays, all in good condition, and the rip completes with no errors. During playback however, the video or audio is heavily corrupted at times, lasting only a couple seconds but very frequent. The video will either skip or flash bright distorted colors, and the audio skips frequently. This is consistent across all my rips and I'm not sure what to look into. I'm using LG's BP50NB40 Blu ray drive (common best buy drive) and I assumed I'd have no issues with it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Resolved issue (kinda). Turns out it only seems to be an issue when I playback using Windows media player or Plex on the host computer. If I use VLC or stream from another device I don't experience any issues. I still don't fully understand why that's the case, but at least I know it's ripping properly. Thanks for the replies!
Last edited by Hawkobo on Sun May 31, 2020 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woodstock

Re: HELP: Poor quality rips, no errors

Post by Woodstock »

Since MakeMKV would have deleted the files if they didn't match the on-disk hash checks, the most likely issue is the playback environment. Do you have anything running that would reduce the available bandwidth? What you describe is very much like a decoder not getting enough input.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Grauhaar

Post by Grauhaar »

First simple test to valide that the rip was okay and the problem is not within the mkv file. Play it on the PC with VLC from an local device. If with works fine, the problem is within your PLEX environment.
Good Luck :)

Post by Hawkobo »

I've tried playing back the .mkv file on multiple devices, using VLC and Plex. Both have identical results.