Becky (Kevin James) 2020

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
radar

Re: Becky (Kevin James) 2020

Post by radar »

Throwing in - I'm running into the same spinning/not-recognized issue as others with both my drives:

* LG WH16NS40 1.03
* ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.10

Both have worked for any other movie I've thrown at them...except "Becky" and also "The Fanatic", which was another Redbox Original, IIRC.

Per the filmography on wikipedia - both are via Quiver distribution. Wonder what the difference is (other than the fancy rounded edges).
rightLANE

Post by rightLANE »

Weird, I have an old Samsung SE-506CB and it ripped it just fine. I was surprised by the audio quality considering Redbox distributed it. I would have thought they'd provide the best audio available (TrueHD or DTS-HD), but all it came in was 448 kb/s Dolby Digital 5.1.
salamonka

Post by salamonka »

For what it's worth, I rented it twice and had the exact same experience as you all are.
KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

Just to throw my 2 cents in.

I had one drive where it would not recognize the disc, which was an LG WH16NS60. It was LibreDrive patched.

My second drive is not LibreDrive patched, and it is an LG WH16NS40.

I think everyone who had trouble with the disc, comment on whether they are using LibreDrive. And then if you pulled out an old drive and it worked, what was the LibreDrive status.

Perhaps a disc manufacturer has come up with a way to defeat LibreDrive on PC's.

And just for further clarification, I believe there are two versions of the LG WH16NS40, a newer one that does support LibreDrive and an older one that doesn't support it. Mine is an older version that doesn't support LibreDrive.
avenger09123

Post by avenger09123 »

KYThrill wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 3:09 am
Just to throw my 2 cents in.

I had one drive where it would not recognize the disc, which was an LG WH16NS60. It was LibreDrive patched.

My second drive is not LibreDrive patched, and it is an LG WH16NS40.

I think everyone who had trouble with the disc, comment on whether they are using LibreDrive. And then if you pulled out an old drive and it worked, what was the LibreDrive status.

Perhaps a disc manufacturer has come up with a way to defeat LibreDrive on PC's.

And just for further clarification, I believe there are two versions of the LG WH16NS40, a newer one that does support LibreDrive and an older one that doesn't support it. Mine is an older version that doesn't support LibreDrive.
There was a firmware split unless there has been another one since then. After Feb 2018? iirc they upgraded the WH16SN40 to firmware version 1.04. I did a thread a while back documenting how to roll it back to 1.03 to flash it to LibreDrive.

You are correct that my LibreDrive wouldnt recognize it. My $59 external bluray drive I found from Coolead on Amazon in 2015 recognized it just fine as well today. Oh well. Guess it may be LibreDrive specific like you said. My external is read by MakeMKV as an Optiarc BC-5500A firmware 1.79.
Red Shirt

Post by Red Shirt »

Long time listener, first time caller here. I had zero issues ripping my copy last night. I'm not great with technology so I don't know that I can give you a ton of details. But my copy was bought from Amazon and ripped on an LG WH16NS40. I've had issues with other new and clean discs not being read and leaving me stumped, but Becky didn't give me any problems.