Help! MakeMKV Deletes its output

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mugz8391

Help! MakeMKV Deletes its output

Post by mugz8391 »

Here is the log - it doesn't even give an error - it writes the entire MKV file and then when it gets to the end, it just deletes it - is there any way to make it NOT delete the file at the end? :

MakeMKV v1.15.2 win(x64-release) started
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 01008.mpls was added as title #0
File 01009.mpls was added as title #1
Title #01009.mpls(1) has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00000.m2ts has length of 19 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00002.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00007.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00008.m2ts was added as title #2
Title #00009.m2ts has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title 00010.m2ts is equal to title 01009.mpls and was skipped
Title #00011.m2ts has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Operation successfully completed
Saving 1 titles into directory E:/
Failed to save title 0 to file E://BABYMETAL - Live in London_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Re: Help! MakeMKV Deletes its output

Post by Woodstock »

Do you have debug logging turned on? It looks like you don't... Make sure it is turned on and do the rip again, so we can see more information.

On BD sources, if the output doesn't match the hash information on the disk (Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files."), the failed files will be deleted.

Sometimes this will happen when the drive cannot read a sector, but, instead of reporting a read error, it simply returns a "good guess" at the sector's contents. It isn't until the end, when the consistency check is done, that MakeMKV knows this happened.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mugz8391

Post by mugz8391 »

OK here is the new log with debug turned on. I did "backup" the disk to directories and created an ISO using ImgBurn and it plays just fine with menus and everything just like the original disk - seems weird that the MKV file won't work,

Debug logging enabled, log will be saved as C:\Users\William/MakeMKV_log.txt
Using direct disc access mode
Evaluation version, 30 day(s) out of 30 remaining
Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.
File 01008.mpls was added as title #0
File 01009.mpls was added as title #1
Title #01009.mpls(1) has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00000.m2ts has length of 19 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00001.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00002.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00003.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00004.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00005.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00006.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title #00007.m2ts has length of 60 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
File 00008.m2ts was added as title #2
Title #00009.m2ts has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
Title 00010.m2ts is equal to title 01009.mpls and was skipped
Title #00011.m2ts has length of 9 seconds which is less than minimum title length of 120 seconds and was therefore skipped
DEBUG: Code 233 at 0ja+n9DNQZjF6AgfH6pGqwL7:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at Nd4KZJJX7OPNdY66gKmnKqeJ:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at PHDdG8friWLYqyXwpYnpu/ub:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at 8zs7KBofkhg/sM0WKbVjZ+kk:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at hBdQwAAPfKDjjtFEnM3VoYQY:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at ur1vTjcXZINF+p6iFoMRhY2q:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at LHVwnS5TyjhD5i+lf4OmywIm:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at /aug3FMGK/63lkRriNYC266t:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at GUau/249g2vLIlx0Ncp/b3d7:0
DEBUG: Code 233 at m4Ekh2/+uXSXgAUVEPCcnPR/:0
DEBUG: Code 0 at <F;e`-8A<-u?T[9fqVF+:121263360
DEBUG: Code 1 at {jh$~Hd ?TZ>P#@H:121264165
DEBUG: Code 0 at mirI$m!:l!nb1uc0(p.,]:29400094
DEBUG: Code 0 at mirI$m!:l!nb1uc0(p.,]:29400094
LIBMKV_TRACE: Exception: Error while reading input
Failed to save title 0 to file E://BABYMETAL - Live in London_t00.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The "error while reading input" usually means the drive gave up on reading the disk. Have you followed the recommendations in the "if you're having errors" topic at the top of the forum?
mugz8391

Post by mugz8391 »

I don't see the specific error message I am getting in the "if you are having errors" post. I just think its odd that the backup and the resultant ISO and the disk itself all play just fine - I don't have any problems at all with the disk or the ISO from the backup - I'd like to have the mkv file but I'll settle for an ISO and perhaps some future version of MakeMKV will resolve the issue. I bought the disk bran new, and the first thing I did was try to make my own personal backup and it did not work the way I hoped.

My question I was hoping to get answered is, is there a way to STOP the program from deleting the file? It "thinks" there is an error - but it writes the entire 20 gig file and it just seems at the end it says "Oh, I don't like the way it ended so I'll just delete every bit I just wrote" - seems to me that there should be a way of stopping the program from deleting the file. Why can't it just keep the file with the errors that it "thinks" that are there and let the user decide if they want to delete it or not?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

None that I'm aware of, because it has to finish off the MKV file after it reads the disk.

Even if the specific error message isn't in the topic, the main thrust of it is to clean the disk, even if it doesn't look "dirty". Too much "stuff" can deposit itself on the disk from the packaging on "fresh from the sealed package" disks.

You could try having MakeMKV do a backup of the disk, and then, if it succeeds, having MakeMKV open the backup. If the backup fails due to a bad read, that would confirm a disk-related issue. There have been circumstances where a backup works, but open/write MKVs doesn't.
mugz8391

Post by mugz8391 »

OK, well as indicated above, I had already made a backup and created an ISO from the directory which works fine. I tried again to create an MKV from the directory and again MakeMKV failed, however, I found freeware on VideoHelp that was able to extract the video and audio preserving the chapters and it remuxed them into an MKV file that plays just perfectly - leaving the video and audio untouched. Its called BDtoAVCHD and has a BD to MKV "remuxer" and it had no errors.
mugz8391

Post by mugz8391 »

I had some more time to play with this today. As I said, I have this disk that MakeMKV can backup just fine to a directory, but quits with a bunch of errors if I try to use MakeMKV to mux the audio and video untouched from the blue ray OR from the backup to create an MKV file. Using another program, BDtoAVCHD to mux the audio and video into an MKV file from the backup created by MakeMKV I got my MKV file with the chapters etc preserved and it plays fine...

Now, "presumably" - there was some error with my disk and it was the "error checking" in MakeMKV that found those errors and refused to mux the audio and video files from the Blu-Ray itself or from MakeMKV's own backup. So what I did was take the MKV that was created by BDtoAVCHD and ran that through MakeMKV, and guess what? No Error!

Now all that BDtoAVCHD did was take the video steam and audio stream, untouched, and mux them into an MKV container, yet MakeMKV found no errors:

DEBUG: Code 233 at iGYpn7uVibUVvgGm2nePTDPz:0
1 titles saved

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
MartyMcNuts

Post by MartyMcNuts »

mugz8391 wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:55 pm
I had some more time to play with this today. As I said, I have this disk that MakeMKV can backup just fine to a directory, but quits with a bunch of errors if I try to use MakeMKV to mux the audio and video untouched from the blue ray OR from the backup to create an MKV file. Using another program, BDtoAVCHD to mux the audio and video into an MKV file from the backup created by MakeMKV I got my MKV file with the chapters etc preserved and it plays fine...

Now, "presumably" - there was some error with my disk and it was the "error checking" in MakeMKV that found those errors and refused to mux the audio and video files from the Blu-Ray itself or from MakeMKV's own backup. So what I did was take the MKV that was created by BDtoAVCHD and ran that through MakeMKV, and guess what? No Error!

Now all that BDtoAVCHD did was take the video steam and audio stream, untouched, and mux them into an MKV container, yet MakeMKV found no errors:

DEBUG: Code 233 at iGYpn7uVibUVvgGm2nePTDPz:0
1 titles saved

"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
Try going back to MakeMKV v1.15.1.
Cheers :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For UHD enabled drives (AU/NZ/SG) & DIY Single Drive Flasher (WW): https://www.uhdenableddrives.com
dmitche3

Post by dmitche3 »

A bit off topic but I'll chime in with my two cents. When a disc fails give us the option to save the currently ripped disk. I have discs that all episodes are in one file. One bad spot on the disc and Makemkv fails I get no episodes at all. :(

Work around though: Use VLC to rip the DVD to get what I need bypassing the specified sectors. A bigger and slower pain than I like. LOL