Problem Copying Blu Ray Discs

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mlongmanera

Problem Copying Blu Ray Discs

Post by mlongmanera »

I have tried 3 times to copy a blu ray. It looks like it is copied by the size of the file but then I can't get it to play with VLC. Anyone know how I can fix this?
Woodstock

Re: Problem Copying Blu Ray Discs

Post by Woodstock »

Since VLC has no issue with playing MKV files, the question is, how were you "copying a blu ray"?

Backup button? Open/save as MKV?

Before we can tell you what to change, we have to know what you did.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
mlongmanera

Post by mlongmanera »

I have an external DVD drive and I downloaded Media Suite 14 that allows you to play Blu Rays. I'm trying to copy to a flash drive. What I do to play it is right click on the folder and open with VLC. That doesn't work at all.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

A DVD drive won't be able to read Bluray disks; you need a Bluray drive. Just having the software doesn't overcome the hardware limitation. MakeMKV can ask the drive what it is and what it is capable of.

If you're going to be buying a new drive to read BDs, you probably should spend a bit more and get a UHD-capable drive.
mlongmanera

Post by mlongmanera »

I am using a Blu Ray drive. And I just checked my flash drive and everything I copied to it is gone now! All folders are empty! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong! Can someone walk me through the steps to transfer a DVD to a flash drive and then play it from a flash drive? Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'm not computer savvy but I know enough to get into trouble. I would appreciate any help I can get.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Flash drive involved - how is it formatted? Default FAT32 will not handle Bluray-sized video. You need to use either ExFAT, NTFS, or HPFS.

When you load the disk in MakeMKV, do you use the large button that simulates a spinning disk as it loads, or click on the "Backup" icon?
mlongmanera

Post by mlongmanera »

Flash drive formatted exFAT. I click on the large button with the spinning disk.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Does MakeMKV report any errors when writing to the flash drive?

Assuming you have debug logging turned on, could you post the log information in a message?