Despicable Me

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
wamblej

Despicable Me

Post by wamblej »

The blu-ray converted without errors, however I have 3-4 times in the movie where as I watch it has read errors. Is there something that I can do to prevent this or at least improve my chances of having a good rip? Thank you.
setarip_old

Re: Despicable Me

Post by setarip_old »

Hi!

Please provide more details:

1) Which did you use MakeMKV to create, a FULL DISC backup or a movie-only .MKV?

2) Are you playing the video from a burned disc or from your hard drive?
If from your hard drive, what software player are you using?
If from a burned disc, are you playing it on a standalone player or are you playing it on a PC with a software player? Which player?

wamblej

Post by wamblej »

1. I chose to do movie only. There were 2 different titles of nearly the same size. I chose one of those and ripped it.
2. I am playing the video from my hard drive w/VLC movie player as a test. VLC will pause at certain points and then a read error will pop up and it will jump over the part that it is stuck on and continue playing.

The first of these hiccups is around 28 minutes... I'm not sure why or if there is a setting I need to change. I did notice that if I did DTS_HD then the audio/video sync was off, so I made sure not to check that and just left the defaults checked. it plays fine aside from those weird parts where it freezes and has a hard time reading it. Thanks.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

What version of VLC are you using? (It should be v.1.1.0 or greater). Try MPC-HC instead...

wamblej

Post by wamblej »

I am using VLC 1.1.5. I know it is not just the player because it did it on another pc with media center and it froze at the same points. I have also tried using handbrake to compress it more and it cuts off at 28 minutes which is the first time that it froze with VLC. I have tried MakeMKV again and I will let you know what the results are. Thanks.
tc_2010MacPro

Post by tc_2010MacPro »

wamblej wrote:I am using VLC 1.1.5. I know it is not just the player because it did it on another pc with media center and it froze at the same points. I have also tried using handbrake to compress it more and it cuts off at 28 minutes which is the first time that it froze with VLC. I have tried MakeMKV again and I will let you know what the results are. Thanks.
- It sounds like you are able to convert the movie but the playback starts to freeze/hesitate. If this is correct open VLC --> Preferences --> Change the setting view to "all" (lower left corner) ---> Input/Codecs --> Access Modules --> MMap --> UNSELECT "Use file memory mapping". I had the problem where I convert a blu-ray with Makemkv and tried to play it back in VLC and the movie would freeze/hesitate. Once I unselected use file memory mapping everything was great! I hope I understood your problem and this helps.
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@tc_2010MacPro

Hi!

I have VLC v.1.10 installed. I just tried to follow your suggested sequence to adjust "Preferences", but got to a deadend after "Access Modules". I am unable to locate "MMAP". Is it possible that you omitted something in your directions? - or perhaps that we're using different versions?

DealMaker

Post by DealMaker »

I just rented "DESPICABLE ME" Blu-ray DVD from Blockbuster.

However, like a few others including Robin Hood, after clicking "OPEN BLU-RAY" icon it decodes several LARGE GB files..... regardless of which one you "check" to copy, the MakeMKV software just stalls and doesn't transfer files. I tried "checking" each large GB file separately and none copied or transferred into a MKV file.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION WHEN MAKEMVW FINDS SEVERAL LARGE GB FILES? Or is this Hollywood's way of copyright protecting Blu-Ray titles now? It only happens with major film releases, not lesser popular shelved Blu-Ray DVDs.

Someone HELP please.
TechLife

Post by TechLife »

Not to resurrect an old thread, but I recently purchased this movie on bluray (not 3D) and am having issues so I'm going to... ;)

Every time I try to read the disc, MakeMKV freezes. I have tried it with AnyDVD enabled, disabled and also tired it ripped to an ISO & mounted on a clone drive...all with the same result. I did manage to mount the ISO and rip that to m2ts using ClownBD and then feed that to MakeMKV. This worked...sort of... The audio is off by about 5 seconds and the video tweaks out here and there.

Has anyone else experienced issues with the initial reading of this disc? Did you find a fix for it? I really don't want the kids handling the disc...

Are there any logs I can post that would help? I don't get an error even in debug mode, the application just stops responding. This is the ONLY disc I have had any issue with thus far.

Thanks in advance!!
setarip_old

Post by setarip_old »

@TechLife

Hi!

1) Try cleaning the disc

if that doesn't do the trick

2) Return it to the place of purchase in exchange for a new one

TechLife

Post by TechLife »