Need Help: Blu-Ray Distortion / Grey-Out / Rainbow Pixels

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
serbo.tech

Need Help: Blu-Ray Distortion / Grey-Out / Rainbow Pixels

Post by serbo.tech »

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone out there can help me. The other night I was trying to rip a blu-ray and during the flashing and non-flashing transitions, I am seeing this distortion / rainbow-like pixels (see attached image).

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? I have tried just about everything in the book to troubleshoot and have come up empty-handed - I keep having this issue.

Thank you all,

Screenshot 2020-11-22 193705.jpg
Screenshot 2020-11-22 193705.jpg (175.56 KiB) Viewed 12697 times
preserve

Re: Need Help: Blu-Ray Distortion / Grey-Out / Rainbow Pixels

Post by preserve »

Most likely it's your playback software / codecs. What OS are you on and what software are you using? (I don't recognize it, maybe others do.) I've personally found mpv and mpc-be to be two good ones, on the other hand, I hardly use VLC anymore.

Also, if you mention what the movie is and the specific release, others with the same release can check to verify.
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
serbo.tech

Post by serbo.tech »

Thanks for the reply preserve.

I am using the latest version of MakeMKV (Version 1.15.3) on a brand new install of Windows 10 Pro.

This was found during the very first rip that I attempted and the blu-ray that I pulled at random was Mad Max: Fury Road.

Also, I am new to the mpv / mpc-be codecs. Are there any good places to download these?
preserve

Post by preserve »

They are playback software, give them a try and see if you like any of them and if they work better for you:

http://mpv.io
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcbe/
http://mpc-hc.org/
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

I like K-Lite Codec Pack, from free-codecs.com but a lot of people are happy with Kodi or VLC as they will play many files without codec packs. There is a version of Media Player Classic (MPC) that also doesn't require the download of a codec pack.
serbo.tech

Post by serbo.tech »

Thank you all.

After doing a little troubleshooting this morning I have come to the conclusion that some blu-rays rip just fine and others (for whatever reason) just don't and you end up with an image like I posted in my original post.
preserve

Post by preserve »

serbo.tech wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:45 pm
I have come to the conclusion that some blu-rays rip just fine and others (for whatever reason) just don't and you end up with an image like I posted in my original post.
You shouldn't ever see an image like that, no rip should ever look like that. As one example of MakeMKV's error detection, you'll see a message re: using a content hash table to verify the integrity of the m2ts files when you load a disc. Also, if MakeMKV is encountering unreadable parts of the disc, it will fail the rip, rather than give you a bad rip. Mad Max: Fury Road is a common release and there shouldn't be any issues with it. Members have hundreds to thousands of titles in their collections without any issues. I'm sorry that the troubleshooting here hasn't resolved your issue.
serbo.tech

Post by serbo.tech »

Actually my issues are resolved. I take back what I said before since I was still using that piece of junk Windows Movies and TV player.

After installing the mpv player and testing with it here in the last few hours it appears that I am having no issues at all. Everything runs rock solid on the mpv player.

Thanks for the help.