RIP error Mea Culpa

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mammoth

RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Mammoth »

Hello all,

I began using MakeMKV only a few days ago, and I began to have errors ripping files from a couple of discs. I looked at several software options, including the DASPI kernel extension (which Big Sur doesn't like) and other options.

The MakeMKV page here ( https://www.makemkv.com/errors/read/ ) says that it _has_ to be the disc or drive. I shined that disc up like crazy. The drive is fine. And I began to grumble "_Sure_ it's not MakeMKV. No way. This disc doesn't have a spot or fingerprint on it!"

But then after a day messing with this off and on, I held the disc up to the light. Yep, a crack in the disc, right by Tom's nose. It shows up much better in the pic, I swear!

So, my apologies to Mike. (insert rueful face **Fancy Icons** here).
CrackedRiskyBusiness.jpg
CrackedRiskyBusiness.jpg (98.24 KiB) Viewed 6618 times
Woodstock

Re: RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Woodstock »

Cracks around the hub can be a real problem, too. I have Last Starfighter where there's a chunk missing from the hub area, but it still rips.

But I'm still nervous when the packaging REALLY REALLY wants to hold on to the disk hub...
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Mammoth

Re: RIP error Mea Culpa

Post by Mammoth »

As I look more closely, it looks like the hub is where the crack began. I'll have to be more careful about taking discs out of the cover. Thanks!