Does makemkv fully remove region codeing from disc backups?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Sanders

Does makemkv fully remove region codeing from disc backups?

Post by Sanders »

This may be a stupid question, but I couldn't actually find an answer while searching specifically to do with makemkv in this specific scenario. I have a few blu-rays that are region locked for region A and my blu ray player doesn't play them (it's a region B player and doesn't do region free playback for blu-rays annoyingly). I'm just wondering if I made a full disc backup with makemkv if I could then simply burn that backup to a BD-R and play it on the player, or rather does the act of making a disc backup disable any kind of region coding? Or would I instead need to specifically do some sort of tinkering with the backed up files to remove any kind of region coding before I burn it to BD-R?

And yes, I know full well I can just use makemkv to... well make an mkv of the video files and burn them to disc or USB or something and play them that way but I'm specifically asking the above because I want to retain the original disc menus, features etc which I'd need the disc backup to do.

Anyway, thanks.
thetoad

Re: Does makemkv fully remove region codeing from disc backups?

Post by thetoad »

no, makemkv does not remove any region coding. all a disc backup is an aacs and bd+ (if needed) decrypted version of the contents on the disc. no modifications are made to remove region coding or remove any other form of protections. Many modern discs will play as is (assuming region of player is correct), but many more wont as there are java based protections that will be triggered and one needs a tool specific for that to remove (anydvd or dvdfab)
Woodstock

Re: Does makemkv fully remove region codeing from disc backups?

Post by Woodstock »

On BD, the region coding is pretty much all in the menus. There are alternate "sorry, you can't do that" tracks for when the region of the player doesn't match the disk.

So using an official player, and using the menus, you'll see the region lock. If you don't care about the menus, ripping to MKV files will leave that all behind.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging