Star Wars and MCU questions

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RFAurora

Star Wars and MCU questions

Post by RFAurora »

Hi everyone, I am working on adding my dvd and blu ray collection to my PC for my Plex server, and I have a few questions about things I'm seeing on the Blu-rays for the Star Wars and MCU movies I have. First up is on the Blu Rays for Rogue One and the Force Awakens, there seems to be 3 copies of the movie to rip from the discs themselves. Are any of those dummy files? My second set is about the MCU films that had the One Shots on them. I was able to get the One Shots of Item 47 and Agent Carter, but I was unable to get a copy of the rest of the One Shots. Is there a specific way to get them from their related MCU Blu Ray releases?
Woodstock

Re: Star Wars and MCU questions

Post by Woodstock »

Disney uses separate play lists for each language, so that the title boards and credits can be in the chosen language.

00800 will be English. 00801 and 00802 will be either Spanish or French, I can never remember which.

You only have to rip one of them.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
RFAurora

Post by RFAurora »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:04 pm
Disney uses separate play lists for each language, so that the title boards and credits can be in the chosen language.

00800 will be English. 00801 and 00802 will be either Spanish or French, I can never remember which.

You only have to rip one of them.
Awesome. This will save room now. Getting close to filling a 4TB hard drive.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

So small... When you come over to the dark side, you'll be looking at multi-drive network attached storage in the 80+ terabyte range, AFTER you've used handbrake to shrink the contents by 30-90%... I out-grew 32TB a couple of years ago.
RFAurora

Post by RFAurora »

I'm looking at getting a 12 bay rack mount enclosure. Just need to set aside some money for it and the drives for it.
preserve

Post by preserve »

I didn’t have any issues getting all of the One Shots. I don’t recall, are any of them very short? You may need to lower the title length to less than the 120 seconds default if you haven’t already. (120 seconds is pretty long. Sometimes there are things such as director introductions etc that fall within that limit.)
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
RFAurora

Post by RFAurora »

preserve wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:09 am
I didn’t have any issues getting all of the One Shots. I don’t recall, are any of them very short? You may need to lower the title length to less than the 120 seconds default if you haven’t already. (120 seconds is pretty long. Sometimes there are things such as director introductions etc that fall within that limit.)
I have it at 600 seconds at the moment. After I get done copying Robotech over, I'll get the discs in question and try again.
RFAurora

Post by RFAurora »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:36 pm
So small... When you come over to the dark side, you'll be looking at multi-drive network attached storage in the 80+ terabyte range, AFTER you've used handbrake to shrink the contents by 30-90%... I out-grew 32TB a couple of years ago.
Pretty much a noob at using Handbrake. Not sure what settings to use to cut down on the size of a movie from Blu-Ray without losing too much A/V quality. I do want to keep it at 1080p with at least 5.1 surround though.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Do you have CPU cycles to burn and/or a recent Nvidia GPU in a Windows 10 machine? You could turn blu-ray MKV rips into 10-bit HEVC encodes. They can be pretty high quality and relatively small in size. A recent blu-ray I ripped is about a 37GB .mkv file. I encoded it using Intel QuickSync hardware h.264 encoder via Handbrake. It took about 20 minutes and the resulting encode is about 10.5GB. It is almost indistinguishable from the original. I don't have the proper hardware to do hardware assisted 10-bit HEVC encodes, so I have to do those on my CPU. It took almost 4.5 hours to encode, but the result looks better than the h.264 from a file that is about 5.5GB.

Woodstock, have you started down the path of 10-bit HEVC encodes?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

No, I haven't done anything with 10-bit. Sorry.
RFAurora

Post by RFAurora »

dcoke22 wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:13 am
Do you have CPU cycles to burn and/or a recent Nvidia GPU in a Windows 10 machine? You could turn blu-ray MKV rips into 10-bit HEVC encodes. They can be pretty high quality and relatively small in size. A recent blu-ray I ripped is about a 37GB .mkv file. I encoded it using Intel QuickSync hardware h.264 encoder via Handbrake. It took about 20 minutes and the resulting encode is about 10.5GB. It is almost indistinguishable from the original. I don't have the proper hardware to do hardware assisted 10-bit HEVC encodes, so I have to do those on my CPU. It took almost 4.5 hours to encode, but the result looks better than the h.264 from a file that is about 5.5GB.

Woodstock, have you started down the path of 10-bit HEVC encodes?
So it appears I can do an NVEnc encode, but even though I have a Quick Sync CPU, Intel i5-7600K, it won't let me use Quick Sync
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

https://github.com/donmelton/other_video_transcoding

I like to use those tools to do 10-bit HEVC encodes. It defaults to hardware assisted encoding by default and the tools make almost all the settings choices for you. It uses ffmpeg directly instead of using Handbrake (which is a good choice too).
Krawk

Post by Krawk »

Woodstock wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:36 pm
As a critical movie buff, how do you get a reduced file size while maintaining quality? Or are you a little less fussy?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Ah, but I'm not a critical movie buff... I've been happy with using the same handbrake settings (basically RF=20 for quality) for anime (shrink 80-90% for 1080p) and movies (50% or so).

You have remember that I'm one of those curmudgeons that doesn't need 4K resolution and Dolby Vision to enjoy a movie. If the movie's good, it doesn't need all that, and if it isn't... Well, that's not going to help matters!