A/V Sync Issues are very real in TV Shows and Movies

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike_mgoblue

A/V Sync Issues are very real in TV Shows and Movies

Post by mike_mgoblue »

I purchased the Twilight Zone Boxed Set of Blu-rays over the summer.

Unfortunately, two of the discs had video problems and could not be ripped perfectly without errors that were identified with numbers.

For six months, I tried contacting Paramount and I was never responded to. So, I gave up and decided to rent those two discs of the Twilight Zone on Blu-ray.

When I rented the Blu-ray discs of the Twilight Zone, this time there were no "numbers" shown for errors. I thought everything was fine. But, each episode of the Twilight Zone displayed a message that said, "AV Synchronization Issues were found in the file."

This message only appeared in the "Episodes" themselves. The other files included other videos, but those videos did not include any message about "AV Sync Issues."

I clicked on the episode of Twilight Zone in Season 2 Disc 3 that is Title 17. This is Season 2 Episode 22, which is called "Long Distance Call." After just 7 seconds, the audio cuts out. This repeats at about 20 seconds. The audio repeatedly cuts out. I changed the audio track to the second audio track. Again, there are problems with the audio cutting out. This repeats throughout the episode.

I then went back and looked at this episode from the first time I ripped it on the Blu-rays I own. That episode had no problems with "numbers" and at the time apparently did not even mention problems with "A/V Sync" issues. But, the audio cuts out in the exact same spots. This makes me think there is a possibility that Paramount made a defective batch of the Twilight Zone where that episode was the one scene.

I am now very concerned that the other episodes are going to do this. There is clearly a SEVERE PROBLEM with the audio cutting out.

I have read in other parts of the MakeMKV website that this is happening with other movies and TV shows. One person asked if he would need to re-rip all of the movies and TV shows he had ripped. He was told the answer was "No." ... But, I am not so sure about that now.

I recently ripped the movie called, "I still know what you did last summer" as a test after The Twilight Zone problems. I was disappointed when the movie called "I still know what you did last summer" also said "AV Sync Issues were found in the file."

I watched the movie for about 5 minutes in Dolby True HD and did not hear the audio drop out in the movie, "I still know what you did last summer." I then switched over to Dolby Digital and watched for 5 Minutes. Again, I did not hear the audio drop out. However, this is no guarantee the audio will not drop out at a later point.

QUESTION 1: Can someone please tell me why the audio is dropping out in that particular episode of The Twilight Zone? There are no errors reported with "numbers" this time. The problem for the movies and TV shows now are that they say "A/V Sync Issues were found on the file."

QUESTION 2: Can someone please tell me exactly what it means when MakeMKV says "A/V Sync Issues were found on the file?" ... Any further explanation in detail would be appreciated.
preserve

Re: A/V Sync Issues are very real in TV Shows and Movies

Post by preserve »

The summary by mattpr here (a few posts down, and I post a few clarifications following that) is a good one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079&start=45
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
mike_mgoblue

Re: A/V Sync Issues are very real in TV Shows and Movies

Post by mike_mgoblue »

preserve wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:24 am
The summary by mattpr here (a few posts down, and I post a few clarifications following that) is a good one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=21079&start=45

SOLUTION FOUND - HERE IS THE EXPLANATION

preserve,

Thank you for responding. I had actually read that message before writing my post above. But this time I was aware of something I previously was not aware of. I will explain in greater detail.

One part of the link you suggested says this:

Attempting to sum up this issue. If we see the AV sync message...
Code: Select all

AV synchronization issues were found in file '______________.mkv' (title #____)
...but it is only followed by messages like...
Code: Select all

_____ subtitles track #___ turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
...there is no real issue and we can ignore the messages and have confidence in the rip.

That is the message I received in both the movies I ripped such as "I still know what you did last summer" and the "Scream" movies. As that post said, there did not appear to be problems with the audio or video of the movies. At that point, I had not noticed any dropouts of audio in those movies. I deliberated tested and confirmed this with Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master, Dolby Digital, and DTS.

However, the TV series of the Twilight Zone did experience those audio dropouts in those episodes I mentioned. The Twilight Zone episodes use 7.1 LPCM audio. I thought this might be the cause of the audio dropouts, but this did not seem to be the confirmed reason due to the fact that there are many other episodes where there are no audio dropouts - even though they also say "A/V synchronization issues were found."

One factor I thought may play a role is that most of the episodes are "Progressive" with a resolution of 1920x1080. However, there were some episodes where the resolution is "Interleaved" with "Top Fields First." Each of those episodes were the ones having the audio dropouts.

I noticed in the post that you mentioned that a person did not experience audio dropouts when using a different video player. And that person said they solved their problem by making it so that hardware was used in the one player. So, I decided to make a similar adjustment. I am pleased to report this solved the problem.

I normally use MPC-BE. I selected "Options" I then selected "Video." In the "Video Renderer" at the top, I selected "Enhanced Video Renderer." I then closed MPC-BE and started it again. After making that adjustment, MPC-BE now properly plays the Twlight Zone episodes that use a resolution of 1920x1080 "Interleaved" with "Top Fields First"." There are no longer audio dropouts. And the lips now match up properly with the people speaking.

Although my two discs did have pixelization problems that still occur because they were defective, the rental disc does not suffer from those video problems. This means it was just my two discs that were defective. The audio problems no longer occur. We now know that "Interleaved" video signals can cause problems.