Strange behaviour with hunger games catching fire

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Anametureenthisiast

Strange behaviour with hunger games catching fire

Post by Anametureenthisiast »

Hi all

I am trying to backup/rip a bluray copy of catching fire, but i keep coming up against strange behaviour. The first thing to say is that when doing a backup is keeps having a scsi error (yes i know what it means but...) followed by a box that says 1 file failed the hash table, when tryign to convert it normally it will read the disk with endless rows of garbage playlists that ive never seen before (attached screen shots).

So im guess im hoping that if we can solve the playlist issue the scsi error may resolve too...either way the playlist issue is just wierd and im hoping someone can explain whats happenening at the least?

I am using java too

Thanks all
Attachments
bluray playlist.PNG
bluray playlist.PNG (296.65 KiB) Viewed 5998 times
dcoke22

Re: Strange behaviour with hunger games catching fire

Post by dcoke22 »

That kind of 'playlist obfuscation' is thing on some movies now, especially on discs from Lions Gate. (The Hunger Games movies are from Lions Gate.)

Because you have Java configured, MakeMKV made its best guess as to which playlist is the right one (but it may not have been correct).

Fake Playlist thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14330

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire thread: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7661

If your drive is having trouble reading the disc, as is likely the case, you'll have to try to clean the disc.
Anametureenthisiast

Post by Anametureenthisiast »

Hi

Thanks for your reply, i am unfortunately not tech savvy enough (although im not terriblly lacking) to undeerstand the whole thread youve linked. I have used another ripper to identify the chapter that is the genuine movie file (the issue is i dont own that one, its only in trial mode). i would rather not buy antoehr program, is there a way to get makemkv to rip the title that the other program identifies as the movie

See below for the screenshot of the other ripper

Thanks for your help

Alex
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (167.9 KiB) Viewed 5970 times
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

I do not know how EaseFab works, having never used it. Your screen shot of it doesn't clearly identify which playlist it thinks is the right one.

Your earlier screen shot of MakeMKV shows that MakeMKV took a guess as which playlist is correct. It is the one that says "(FPL_MainFeature)" after the title. In MakeMKV, click on that title once to highlight it. In the 'Info' box on the right, it'll show some details about that title, including 'Source file name:' and 'Segment map:'. Source file name will be some number that ends with a .mpls extension. This is the name of the playlist of segments. The Segment map is the list of segments and the order they'll be played in.

A movie on a blu-ray is sometimes chopped up into multiple segments. A player is told to play a playlist of segments. This is called seamless branching. Mostly it is useful for when a movie has both the theatrical version and a director's cut of the movie on the same disc. Often in such cases, most of the movie is the same; only a few scenes are different. The different parts are chopped up into their own segments and depending on which title you select, a playlist for one or the other is played. Pixar movies will often have 3 playlists with only slightly different segment maps. The different segments are almost always just the opening credits that are usually in 3 different languages. One is English, one is French, and one is Spanish.

Playlist obfuscation is when a studio, like Lions Gate, purposely chops a movie up into many segments and then creates hundreds of playlists with nearly all of them with the segments out of order. Often in a sea of hundreds of incorrect playlists, only one will be the correct one. They do this to make it harder for people to use tools like MakeMKV. When you put the movie in a regular player, the player loads a small java program which tells the player which playlist is the correct one. MakeMKV uses Java (if you have it configured) to attempt to run that program and figure out which playlist is the right one. As I said before, it isn't always correct.

In the The Hunger Games: Catching Fire thread I posted a link to, folks are discussing which playlist (the source file name) and which segment map are the correct one. These are the things that are inherent to the disc that uniquely identify one title from another. Programs like MakeMKV or EaseFab will name them Title_03 or title_24 or whatever, just as a way to differentiate them from one another, but the names are generated (usually) based on the order in which the program encountered the title. In other words, what EaseFab calls Title_01 won't necessarily be the same thing that MakeMKV calls title_01. The thing you're looking for is which segment map is the right one.

Most of the time, any movies which have this sort of business going on will have an associated thread here on this forum of people figuring out which one is the right one. And where the disc comes from matters too. Sometimes the right playlist for a disc rented from Netflix is not the same as a disc purchased at retail, is not the same as a disc rented from Redbox, is not the same as disc from the UK, or Germany, or the USA.