Two MKV files from one BD disc?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
dshorrosh

Two MKV files from one BD disc?

Post by dshorrosh »

Apologies if this problem has already been posted but I couldn't find it.

I am ripping some home-authored BDs for backup, and some movies are resulting in two MKV files. The BD discs in questions have a preliminary menu with 'cars' or 'eat', for example, that lead to separate 'movies' about track day or the subsequent dinner party.

Is MKV creating a separate image for each?

And how can I burn both to a single BD disc or image that will play as designed?

I created the BD discs using Pinnacle Studio and they play fine in my Sony BD player.

Thanks in advance.
preserve

Re: Two MKV files from one BD disc?

Post by preserve »

MakeMKV’s primary role is ripping discs, to get a computer-playable MKV file, it’s not really meant for disc-related tasks such as authoring, cloning, backup, etc.

MakeMKV does have a backup function that you could use to generate a folder structure copy of the disc, which you would then need authoring or burning software to use. Since it’s a home movie disc and copyright protection isn’t involved, you’re probably better off with burning software that will just straight clone/copy your existing disc.

If you created the disc yourself, I’m confused why you’re trying to rip it and then make a new copy of it. Why not just make another copy in the same manner you made the first? Unless you no longer have access to your original files.

Perhaps some others who are more familiar with the home Blu-ray authoring side can give some more advice!
Using: ASUS BW-16D1HT 3.00
dshorrosh

Post by dshorrosh »

Thanks for the reply.

I don't have the source project to re-burn a BD, and am basically wanting to backup the disc. It could be as simple as opening the BD and copying the two folders onto an external hard drive, then using a burner app to create a playable BD.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

You can think of a Blu-ray as a collection of movie files and a series of playlists of those movie files. In the simplest sense, there is a single movie file and a single playlist on the disc. In a more complicated form, there are many movie files and many playlists. For example, if a movie has both the director's cut and the theatrical cut, most of the movie is the same. So the movie files are split up such that one can build a director's cut playlist and a theatrical cut playlist. (Yes, your player will do something called seamless branching where it makes multiple movie files look like a single, seamless movie on your screen.)

MakeMKV produces a single .mkv file for each playlist.

In your case, I'm guessing there's two playlists, one for cars and one for eat. They're probably two separate movie files on the disc. If you use MakeMKV's backup function, you'll be able to find the movie files from the disc.