Films being ripped into multiple files

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
ben_uk

Films being ripped into multiple files

Post by ben_uk »

Hi,

I have started the process of backing up all my discs as I have already lost a few due to disc rot plus also we need the house space.

I have had a good success rate in ripping just BD's at this point (I dont own a PC UHD drive so they will have to wait), however a handful of films have ripped successfully but they are in fragments of multiple files. "Crimson Tide" was the first one I noticed, its ripped into 3 seperate files. "Gladiator" also is in maybe 10-20 files, "Taken" too has this issue (US release).

I appreciate that this question has probably been asnwered a million times but is there any way to consolidate the files into a single MKV? I promised I search the forum before posting but I couldnt see anything relating to this.

Thanks so much,

Ben.
Woodstock

Re: Films being ripped into multiple files

Post by Woodstock »

You need to qualify the "multiple files". Multiple copies of the movie, or multiple PIECES of the movie?

A lot of disks have multiple copies; Disney disks usually have at least two, to cover different languages (Crimson Tide is a Disney release). Lionsgate disks are a nightmare, with multiple INCORRECT copies, and one that is correct.

But it is rare that MakeMKV would give only pieces of a movie, unless the disk was authored that way.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Hi Woodstock.

Let me clarify. Yes, its the actual film itself which is split into 3 seperate files, its the whole film, just split into 3.

I have attached a pic here, so I hope that works, but this is the film split into 3. One chunk is 7GB, one is 12GB the other is 9GB. Then you have all the other files that I know are menu items or trailers or making of things etc.

I have several films like this, so if anyone has a solution please let me know.

Thanks,

Ben.
Attachments
crim1.jpg
crim1.jpg (159.6 KiB) Viewed 8053 times
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

You're looking at a backup, rather than MKV files. The backup will have the files as they are on the BD; ripping to MKV will assemble the pieces into a movie.

The m2ts files are the construction blocks, the mpls play lists files are the assembly instructions. Ripping to MKV files uses the mpls files to gather the pieces into one file.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Ah ok thanks.

So how do I just rip the movie?

Thanks!
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

You can create the .mkv file you're looking for from the backup you've got. Open MakeMKV and then select Open Files and point it at the backup. MakeMKV will read the backup from your hard drive just like it was reading it from an optical disc. You can then do the normal MakeMKV things of selecting the correct title, audio tracks, etc. and outputting the .mkv to your chosen destination.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The fastest way is to use the backup you've already made, as mentioned above.

In the future, use the "big button" that looks like a disk drive to "Open" the disk, then select what you want to turn in to MKV files.
ben_uk

Post by ben_uk »

Thanks all! This now works great.