Blu-Ray BDMV FOlder

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
winman42

Blu-Ray BDMV FOlder

Post by winman42 »

Hello all, I've just downloaded and installed the software, but haven't used it.
My question is, can I create an MKV file from an existing BDMV folder on my
hard drive, or will it only convert from the physical disc? I have a few full
folders backup on a hard drive, and my current blu-ray drive has gone bad.
(waiting for a replacement unit from Amazon)

thanks,

Win
Woodstock

Re: Blu-Ray BDMV FOlder

Post by Woodstock »

The answer to that depends on how the folder was created on your hard drive, and if it is encrypted.

If it is still encrypted, MakeMKV generally needs info about the drive that read it, if that drive had bus encryption. If MakeMKV created the folder and its contents, it would have stored that information for later use.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
winman42

Post by winman42 »

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm honestly not sure if they are encrypted or not.
How's that for being clueless about all this? LOL

When i open the software, it appears it needs to grab the source from an optical drive,
and since my drive is not connected, it shows "the program can't find any usable optical drives".

I don't see any option to point the software to the blu-ray folders.

thanks,

Winston
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

If it is still encrypted, VLC won't be able to play it, so that's one test.

What happens if you start MakeMKV and open the index.bdmv file in the BDMV directory?
winman42

Post by winman42 »

SO, VLC is able to play them, so I guess they are NOT encrypted. I was able to figure out
how to load the bdmv index file, and can create an MKV file. However, I don't get the option
to "backup" the folder, as I did want to take the dual layer disc, and back it up on a single layer
Bluray disc. (25gb) Normally I would do this with DVDfab, but for some reason DVDfab keeps failing
on this particular film. So i guess making an MKV version will be my only option. My original
thought was that perhaps something was wrong with the bluray folder, but makemkv had no
issue creating an mkv file, so i guess the issue is with dvdfab or elsewhere.

WIn
winman42

Post by winman42 »

I tried replying, but i didn't post. 2nd attempt.
1. Folder plays in VLC just fine, so i guess it's unencrypted.
2. Was able to load the bdmv index file, and create an MKV file.
3. I want to back up this folder with makemkv, because I want to make a backup for a smaller, 25gb disc.
4. Normally use dvdfab, but it's having issues with this folder.
5. Makekv worked fine, so perhaps its not an issue with the bdmv folder
6. When choising the bdmv index file, the option for BACKUP is grayed out.

Win
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

When you're "under moderation" (new user), your posts aren't visible until one of the moderators sees it and makes it visible.

MakeMKV is not the tool for what you're trying to do, though - you need BD authoring software. MakeMKV probably can turn the folder into MKV files, but it isn't going to do much for burning a new disk.
winman42

Post by winman42 »

Yes, I for forgot about the "moderation" part, and only realized after making the 2nd post. thanks.
I understand makemkv wasn't gonna let me "author" a new disc, I just thought if it would let me
"backup" the original folder, I could again try it with Dvdfab, which would give me a fully working
disc, with a smaller disc size. I guess my only option is to try and backup the physical disc with
MakeMKV, and then try the resulting folder or iso with Dvdfab again. I'm still waiting for my
replacement bluray drive from Amazon. Thanks.

Win
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Question - is the reason you're going to burn a disk that the target player doesn't support media files?

I ask because it seems silly to me to put stuff back on fragile media once you've gotten it off. I have portable media players with internal storage that I would copy files to when I needed to hook up to projectors off-site.
winman42

Post by winman42 »

Well, this might seem like a really silly reason to back this up to physical media, but hear me out. LOL

I'm going to loan this disc to a friend, who I DO NOT trust with my original disc. There has been more than
one time where I loaned an original disc, and it was never returned. Or it's returned with scratches, etc
etc. Or I get the "i can't find it" excuse. I figure making a backup to blank blu-ray media is a good way to
worry about my original disc. LOL

If i can't get this one sorted, I'll see if they can play the MKV files from their bluray player, if I burn it
as a DATA disc. That works on my LG blu-ray payer.

Win
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Fully understand that reason. Remember the TV commercial where the kid thought the VCR was hungry, so he fed it a peanut butter sandwich? I have received Netflix disks that look like they were played in a DVD player that had that happen.
winman42

Post by winman42 »

Yes, that commercial was hilarious. I’ve sadly gone to friends homes and found my discs
Face down on the carpet, or they return the case with the discs missing,etc etc LOL

I’m very hesitant to loan my 4K uhd titles from Europe , just to have them get messed up
Or go missing.

Win
eksine

Post by eksine »

"friends" that don't respect your stuff shouldn't be your friend. you're being way too nice. you're real solution is to never lend them anything especially money. I would get new friends, but if you don't have that will power I would never lend them any original discs. give them the burned copy and tell them to return it to you. seriously if anybody was that disrespectful after I lent them my stuff they would no longer be my friends after it happened a couple of times
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

The simple answer is to use a USB Flashdrive/HDD instead of burning a disc. Of course, you should get this 'friend' to supply the drive so you don't have to worry about getting it back!

P.S. If you're able to mount the original backup folder as a virtual drive (I use a program called "MagicDisc" but I'm sure there are many alternatives available), then you can open that virtual drive with MakeMKV (it sees the virtual drive just like it sees an optical drive) and then you can create another backup.
Billycar11

Post by Billycar11 »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 2:01 am
The simple answer is to use a USB Flashdrive/HDD instead of burning a disc. Of course, you should get this 'friend' to supply the drive so you don't have to worry about getting it back!

P.S. If you're able to mount the original backup folder as a virtual drive (I use a program called "MagicDisc" but I'm sure there are many alternatives available), then you can open that virtual drive with MakeMKV (it sees the virtual drive just like it sees an optical drive) and then you can create another backup.
you dont even need to fake it being a disc just open the index under bdmv with makemkv's file open selection
Buy a UHD drive from the guide and how to video maker: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=17831
UHD Drives Guide: https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic ... 16&t=19634
Auto flash kit $25 Email me for one Billycar5924@gmail.com