MakeMKV picks wrong LPCM codec-id

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mike admin

Re: MakeMKV picks wrong LPCM codec-id

Post by mike admin »

This will be "fixed" very soon by additional setting that would select "RAW" LPCM without channel arrangement information.
vddobrev

Post by vddobrev »

mike admin wrote:This will be "fixed" very soon by additional setting that would select "RAW" LPCM without channel arrangement information.
I am about to buy MakeMKV, so my question is when? I have over 30 Blu-rays with only PCM uncompressed, and this is very important, and will influence my decision to buy.
vddobrev

Post by vddobrev »

mike admin wrote:Ok, let me clarify. The issue is clearly apparent and will be corrected. As a quick fix you can always use hex editor to patch 2 bytes in MKV header so every program would recognize this audio format without re-encoding. The proper fix is planned in (near) future.
Can you please advide step by step how to correct this?
sundog_ak

Post by sundog_ak »

See this link where it is discussed on which bytes to modify:

http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic ... 1062#p1062
xwmkf

Post by xwmkf »

Any update on this? Just ran into it myself, using the latest makemkv (1.6.14).
paulster

Post by paulster »

xwmkf wrote:Any update on this? Just ran into it myself, using the latest makemkv (1.6.14).
Yes, me too.

This is a showstopper for me since nearly 50% of my BluRays have LPCM tracks and I don't want to have to manually hack the files afterwards.
Tiedemate

Post by Tiedemate »

I just ran into this problem. Any update on this?
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

There's the FLAC profile, and you can also tell MakeMKV to use raw PCM (instead of WAVEX in MKV) via a custom conversion profile. See the "Advanced MakeMKV Usage" subforum for details.
kevmitch

Post by kevmitch »

The problem here is that the matroska spec (http://matroska.org/technical/specs/codecid/index.html) does not specify a tolerable format for multichannel pcm. The "best of bad options" is "A_MS/ACM". Although this codec has the dubious association with Microsoft, and is "uncommon", it is the only one that accurately describes the data.

Thinking this was just an issue for metadata geeks, I tried changing "A_MS/ACM" to "A_PCM/INT/LIT" with mkvtoolnix as described at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407589/makem ... lpcm-audio. Although this enables VLC to actually play back the problematic track, it has no idea how to handle the channels. In the stereo mixdown, it sounds like it's putting the rear in right and front in left.

In summary, this is part of the spec, so VLC and other tools should really recognize it, expecially since there isn't a better option. According to VLC developer, TypX this is in the works (https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.ph ... 41#p365532
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

VLC already can perfectly recognize and play LPCM in WAVEX container, when reading from a WAV file. But for some reason this code is not enabled when reading the same data from MKV file. You can do a simple test - demux the track from MKV to WAV file with mkvtoolnix or eac3to, and VLC would play it perfectly.
angelgraves13

Post by angelgraves13 »

I ended up using mkvextract to extract the LPCM audio and eac3to to convert to individual WAVs and then convert to DTS-HD Master Audio using the encoding suite by Sony that I use for video editing.

Converted all my Criterion titles to DTS-HD MA with core bitrates that are as close as possible to the WAV file, usually 768 kbps for Mono, less if the WAV is at 400 kbps. Now all my files play flawlessly in my media player.

You can always do LPCM to FLAC with eac3to.

Took forever to convert all my LOST episodes that used LPCM instead of DTS-HD MA.
betrayer

Post by betrayer »

You can do this fix with mkvmerge gui , takes on minute to fix. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1407589/makem ... lpcm-audio
madfloyd

Post by madfloyd »

Why not just use the FLAC profile? You save space that way.
cipher

Post by cipher »

Hi Guys,

I've spent a couple of hours today trying to track down and fix an issue where ripped Blu-rays with a 5.1 LPCM track were not playing any audio on my Oppo BDP-103D player. After some discussion with Oppo support, posting at AVSForum and online research I came across this thread.

I'm using the latest version of the application so it looks like this issue is present today.
mike admin wrote:This will be "fixed" very soon by additional setting that would select "RAW" LPCM without channel arrangement information.
Mike, this was posted back in 2011 so I'm just checking to see if this was fixed and I'm experiencing a regression in the code, or if this bug was never addressed. Either way, do you have any info on if this will be corrected in a future build?

Thank you
bluesnow

Post by bluesnow »

Ditto from me too. I've run into this a couple of times now and would also like to see a "fix".