No English on one disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
arrbee99

No English on one disc

Post by arrbee99 »

Not sure if my issue might possibly be related to this one -

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25906

but anyway...I ripped the bluray boxset of Father Brown and am having trouble with one episode. Its The Rod of Asclepius on Series 4 Disc 2. It seems then if I rip it to a bdmv folder and try to play that it plays with audio in English. However if I rip it to mkvs it doesn't have any audio at all. If I look at MakeMKV before its about to rip to mkvs it shows the episode is about 9.8GB but when saved to disc its about 7.4GB because of no audio. Aslo it shows that episode as only having Japanese, and its set to only save English, so it saves nothing, except the bdmv plays in English.

Any thoughts please, no matter how obvious to all you experts.
Attachments
Father Brown MakeMKV Result.JPG
Father Brown MakeMKV Result.JPG (68.99 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Father Brown MakeMKV Japanese.JPG
Father Brown MakeMKV Japanese.JPG (253.71 KiB) Viewed 5958 times
Chetwood

Re: No English on one disc

Post by Chetwood »

Posting Mediainfo's text output of the m2ts that has the English audio might help.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Thanks. Actually your post in the other topic (the 'I'm stumped..' one), has shown the problem. I ran the bdmv copy of the disc I have on a hdd through MakeMKV without restricting the language to English only, and you're correct that it now has three English audio tracks that are all labelled as Japanese. Go figure.

Would you happen to know if there's a way to label them correctly somehow ? MKVToolNix maybe (or something less intimidating...)
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

This Windows .bat file seems to work if anyone is interested. I don't know what I'm doing with this ffmpeg stuff so it might be the worst possible way to do it, but it seems to successfully change three tracks labeled as Japanese to three tracks labeled as English -

REM Testing for loop
FOR %%m in (*.mkv) do (
REM Change Japanese label to English for MKV
ffmpeg -i "%%m" -c copy -map 0 -metadata:s colon a:0 language=eng -metadata:s colon a:1 language=eng -metadata:s colon a:2 language=eng "%%~nm_english.mkv"
echo ====================================================
)
Last edited by arrbee99 on Sun Aug 15, 2021 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Whoa. Sorry, don't know where those huge A's came from, they're supposed to be just 'colon a colon'.

Edit - seems to be fixed if I replace the colon symbol with the work 'colon'
Chetwood

Post by Chetwood »

MKVToolnix's header editor allows you to change the track language without remuxing the file.
MultiMakeMKV: MakeMKV batch processing (Win)
MultiShrink: DVD Shrink batch processing
Offizieller Uebersetzer von DVD Shrink deutsch
arrbee99

Post by arrbee99 »

Thanks for the info. I think its fixed but I'll have a look in Mkvtoolnix. I do prefer graphical stuff to command lines...
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

mkvtoolnix will install a GUI front end to their tools, so you can go both ways. If I'm dealing with only one or two files, I use it; otherwise, I create a shell script.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging