What device(s)/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos, 3D?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RaphaelLouis

What device(s)/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos, 3D?

Post by RaphaelLouis »

I'm kind'ah newbie, just recently digitized my Blu-Ray collection (using MakeMKV), but I am running into the "can't play Dolby Vision AND Dolby Atmos OR 3D either" conundrum.

So, question: What device(s)/software/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos? Preferably 3D movies as well, but I can live without that one. Does anyone have an answer, please?

Does the NVIDIA Shield Pro do that by itself, or some other device/software/configuration? My current setup: AppleTV 4K latest generation as of 04/11/23, LG C2 which supports eARC, OLED, Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos. Full-fledged home theater with an AVR and a 5.2.2 setup, Plex server hosts my collection in an iMac Pro (2017). And I CANNOT connect it all via ethernet CAT-6. It all runs via Wi-Fi, but it is pretty fast and reliable. I already have a Sony Blu-Ray player as well. I also have Infuse, which I am trying to wrap my head around "Why would I need both Infuse and Plex, since Plex can do the storing/streaming/playing already"? What does Infuse bring to the table that Plex alone does not? Will I see any benefit from adding the NVIDIA Shield to my setup? Or the Zappiti? Or an Oppo device? Anything else?

Once more for clarity, the main question is: What device(s)/software/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos? Preferably 3D movies as well, but I can live without that one.

Experiences and insights appreciated! Thanks in advance for any responses.

Best, R.
exitguy

Re: What device(s)/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos, 3D?

Post by exitguy »

RaphaelLouis wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:18 am
Once more for clarity, the main question is: What device(s)/software/configuration would allow me to play all my Blu-Ray rips with full Dolby Vison AND Dolby Atmos? Preferably 3D movies as well, but I can live without that one.
You will not get "full Dolby Vision" from rips as they will not have the FEL layer. If you really want to get all the benefits of DV then use a dedicated player that supports DV, like the Panasonic UB820 or UB9000.