question about makemkv, java, and lionsgate movies

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Mirarora

question about makemkv, java, and lionsgate movies

Post by Mirarora »

how does it figure out which title is the main feature? and how much can i trust it if i'm not able to verify it with the powerdvd/process monitor method?
i'm ripping the hunger games movies, it got the first 2 right.
once i moved on to Mocking Jay pt1 i'm unable to verify it because powerdvd starts accessing random playlists even after the main movie is playing

edit: i found the mocking jay threads and now it's 3 for 3 so i guess we can just use those as an example for the first part of the question

thanks
dcoke22

Re: question about makemkv, java, and lionsgate movies

Post by dcoke22 »

Actual blu-ray players all run Java. So, the Java code on the blu-ray is run by the blu-ray player and that code tells the player which playlist to play.

When MakeMKV uses Java to take a guess at which playlist is the right one, it is running that code from the disc. The variable, however, is it is using whatever version of Java you have on your system. Does that version of Java get the same answer as your blu-ray player by running that Java code? Often it does, but in my experience not always.

When I encounter a disc with playlist obfuscation, I make a decrypted backup of the disc and then create a .mkv from that backup. I use MakeMKV's best guess and this forum to try to get the right answer. However, I don't delete the decrypted backup until I have time to watch the movie and verify with my own eyes that I've chosen the correct playlist. This way if I've chosen incorrectly, I can relatively easily try again without having to re-rip the disc.
Mirarora

Post by Mirarora »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:26 am
Actual blu-ray players all run Java. So, the Java code on the blu-ray is run by the blu-ray player and that code tells the player which playlist to play.

When MakeMKV uses Java to take a guess at which playlist is the right one, it is running that code from the disc. The variable, however, is it is using whatever version of Java you have on your system. Does that version of Java get the same answer as your blu-ray player by running that Java code? Often it does, but in my experience not always.

When I encounter a disc with playlist obfuscation, I make a decrypted backup of the disc and then create a .mkv from that backup. I use MakeMKV's best guess and this forum to try to get the right answer. However, I don't delete the decrypted backup until I have time to watch the movie and verify with my own eyes that I've chosen the correct playlist. This way if I've chosen incorrectly, I can relatively easily try again without having to re-rip the disc.
good info thanks!
oddeyeball

Post by oddeyeball »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:26 am
I do this, however the only extra thing I do is play each of the segments that the suggested playlist says to see if it's the correct one before make the .mkv file. This way I can see if the beginning and ending of each segment work and know if the playlist is a good one rather than trying to find it in the compiled video.