Problem with ripping disc

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
zepfloyd

Problem with ripping disc

Post by zepfloyd »

I checked the stickied thread about trouble ripping blu look here first thread. my problem/error wasn't listed.

have been ripping a handful of blu's today...only one i'm running into a problem with is a black sheep blu i actually received today from amazon.

i'm thinking it must be the disc itself but was curious if anyone had any ideas:

for reference i am using an external drive.

a few things i notice relative to the others: the read rate is wayyy lower. all other blu's tend to be between 18-20 M/s while black sheep will read at under 10 M/s.

it does seem to take awhile, or longer than other discs when its "decrpyting" before i actually go to select which chapters to rip. i can get to the ripping...but what happens along with the slower read speed, is eventually it stops in the middle of it like i cancelled the ripping and says 0 files saved.

anything i can do on the software side to bypass this and get the problem solved or it is just a crappy disc?
asmcom

Re: Problem with ripping disc

Post by asmcom »

zepfloyd wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:54 am
I checked the stickied thread about trouble ripping blu look here first thread. my problem/error wasn't listed.

have been ripping a handful of blu's today...only one i'm running into a problem with is a black sheep blu i actually received today from amazon.

i'm thinking it must be the disc itself but was curious if anyone had any ideas:

a few things i notice relative to the others: the read rate is wayyy lower. all other blu's tend to be between 18-20 M/s while black sheep will read at under 10 M/s.

it does seem to take awhile, or longer than other discs when its "decrpyting" before i actually go to select which chapters to rip. i can get to the ripping...but what happens along with the slower read speed, is eventually it stops in the middle of it like i cancelled the ripping and says 0 files saved.

anything i can do on the software side to bypass this and get the problem solved or it is just a crappy disc?
What model of drive are you using and firmware version.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
b***t (Fantastic service, comms and item. Best ebay experience ever)
h***i (49) Best communication ever, extremely fast shipping, excellent seller!
Click Here! viewtopic.php?f=20&t=19387
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

The speed reduction is fairly common (I call it "Limp Mode"). Sometimes cleaning the disc helps, other times MakeMKV just decides that's what the disc needs to get a successful copy and there's nothing you can do but wait.

As a side-note, one thing I have noticed is that once MakeMKV goes into Limp Mode it gets stuck in it, even if you swap discs. I find I have to eject the disc and close/re-start MakeMKV to clear the problem.

As for your rip stopping in the middle, could you give us more detail? Maybe a screen-shot (or copy 'n paste) showing whatever errors it spits out?

Are you doing a backup to HDD when this happens or actually ripping files straight from the disc? Sometimes the alternative can yield better results (for example, a backup may copy all files except the one it's having trouble with, whereas a rip may stall completely and just give up at the first error it encounters).

Does your external drive have its own power supply or is it drawing from the computer's USB port? Sometimes power issues can cause the drive to quit mid-read.

There is no setting within the software that will allow a .mkv file to be created with errors present, MakeMKV will only output a file after a successful rip.
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

asmcom wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:35 am
zepfloyd wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:54 am

What model of drive are you using and firmware version.

Asmcom :mrgreen:
i'm not sure how to check the firmware sorry...but the player i'm using is the: LG BP60NB10
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

Radiocomms237 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:39 am
The speed reduction is fairly common (I call it "Limp Mode"). Sometimes cleaning the disc helps, other times MakeMKV just decides that's what the disc needs to get a successful copy and there's nothing you can do but wait.

As a side-note, one thing I have noticed is that once MakeMKV goes into Limp Mode it gets stuck in it, even if you swap discs. I find I have to eject the disc and close/re-start MakeMKV to clear the problem.

There is no setting within the software that will allow a .mkv file to be created with errors present, MakeMKV will only output a file after a successful rip.
As for your rip stopping in the middle, could you give us more detail? Maybe a screen-shot (or copy 'n paste) showing whatever errors it spits out?

Are you doing a backup to HDD when this happens or actually ripping files straight from the disc? Sometimes the alternative can yield better results (for example, a backup may copy all files except the one it's having trouble with, whereas a rip may stall completely and just give up at the first error it encounters).
i am ripping directly to an external hard drive

Does your external drive have its own power supply or is it drawing from the computer's USB port? Sometimes power issues can cause the drive to quit mid-read.
it is drawing power from the USB
Last edited by zepfloyd on Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

zepfloyd wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:55 am
i'm not sure how to check the firmware sorry...but the player i'm using is the: LG BP60NB10
When you first start MakeMKV, before you click on anything, the right side of the MakeMKV window displays a bunch of details about the drive, including the firmware and LibreDrive status.

Just copy and paste those details into a post here. A screenshot likely won't work since the storage quota for the board has been full lately.
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm
zepfloyd wrote:
When you first start MakeMKV, before you click on anything, the right side of the MakeMKV window displays a bunch of details about the drive, including the firmware and LibreDrive status.

Just copy and paste those details into a post here. A screenshot likely won't work since the storage quota for the board has been full lately.
Drive Information
OS device name: D:
Manufacturer: HL-DT-ST
Product: BD-RE BP60NB10
Revision: 1.02
Serial number: SIK04MABA0318
Firmware date: 2121-07-08 15:56
Bus encryption flags: 17
Highest AACS version: 76

LibreDrive Information
Drive platform: MT1959
Harware support: Yes
Firmware support: No
Firmware type: Original (patched version available)
Firmware version: 1.02
DVD all regions: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw data read: Possible (with patched firmware)
BD raw metadata read: Possible (with patched firmware)
Unrestricted read speed: Possible (with patched firmware)
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:21 pm
zepfloyd wrote:

also with the sceens i took but cant post while its trying to rip the disc there are a ton these messages going on before it just stops:
"the source file '/BDMV/STREAM/0001.m2ts is corrupt or invalid at offset bunch of numbers attempting to work around

like that message and similar popped up a bunch in the bottom box while ripping till it eventually said :
too many AV synchronization issues in file /BDMV/STREAM/0001.m2ts future messages will be posted in log file i think..my screen cap cut off

thats the point it stopped and got the popup with a red x, copy complete, 0 titles saved, 1 failed
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

In the MakeMKV FAQ there's a question about AV Sync errors. The short version is they're informational and can safely be ignored.

Also in the FAQ is an entry about the 'corrupt or invalid at offset' messages, which are more serious. They imply that the optical was unable to correctly read the data from the optical disc. The standard advice is to gently clean the optical disc and try again.

It is also probably useful to power cycle your optical drive. Unplug the USB cables for 15 seconds or so. Assuming the drive is connected via a Y cable with two USB-A connectors on one end, make sure both are plugged into high-powered ports so the drive has enough power. An optical drive can need more power than is available on a single USB port. Inside the optical drive is a tiny computer that runs the firmware that operates the drive. Like all computers, sometimes it can get into a bad state and needs to be restarted. The only way to do that is to unpower the drive and then power it up again.
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

dcoke22 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:40 pm
In the MakeMKV FAQ there's a question about AV Sync errors. The short version is they're informational and can safely be ignored.

Also in the FAQ is an entry about the 'corrupt or invalid at offset' messages, which are more serious. They imply that the optical was unable to correctly read the data from the optical disc. The standard advice is to gently clean the optical disc and try again.

It is also probably useful to power cycle your optical drive. Unplug the USB cables for 15 seconds or so. Assuming the drive is connected via a Y cable with two USB-A connectors on one end, make sure both are plugged into high-powered ports so the drive has enough power. An optical drive can need more power than is available on a single USB port. Inside the optical drive is a tiny computer that runs the firmware that operates the drive. Like all computers, sometimes it can get into a bad state and needs to be restarted. The only way to do that is to unpower the drive and then power it up again.
i appreciate this advice, i'll try to wipe the disc off and unplug. will report back
zepfloyd

Post by zepfloyd »

huh...now i'm getting that it has hashcheck errors...clicked on a link that took me to a makemkv post that says hashcheck errors generally mean a dying disc drive?

i ripped numerous blu's yesterday and the day before just fine..

edit: heres the message i get after it stops ripping again

Encountered 4 errors of type 'HashCheck Error' - see http://www.makemkv.com/errors/hashcheck/...
0 titles saved, 1 failed

EDIT 2: i was just now able to rip another new blu i got today..no problems...this just mean the black sheep blu's disc is just wonky?