Large File Size?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
M67Standard

Large File Size?

Post by M67Standard »

Hello, I recently started ripping my Blu-rays (one so far). I ripped Elemental and the file size after MakeMKV was done is 104GB. I checked the properties of the Blu-ray and it should only be 44.8GB. Is this normal? If not, what did I do wrong or can do to avoid this issue?

What I did: I installed MakeMKV then hit the "Make MKV" button next to the output destination. Everything on the left side with the titles are checked.

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else I haven't found a similar post on here or reddit.
My experience with ripping was previously only with DVDs and I used a separate program that turned them to ISO files. Those usually matched the same amount of storage as the original disc.

-M67
Yetaxa

Re: Large File Size?

Post by Yetaxa »

Is it a single file at 104GB or is that the total size of the folder?
My instinct says that there were two versions of the movie on there, and it's ripped both (which would be about 90GB, plus any extras also ripped).

I don't have this blu-ray but many studios will have this issue because of different language selections leading to a different title number, which is then recognised by MakeMKV as a separate title.

You should at the very least check the folder that was ripped to see what's in there.
M67Standard

Post by M67Standard »

It's the total size of the folder. I did open it up and see some duplicates on there. I tried playing some but they don't have audio unless I play the folder through VLC. Is there any way to prevent this from happening or know which ones are safe to delete? I'm guessing it would be to just know which titles to select before starting the rip?

I attached what the folder looks like.
Sunoo

Post by Sunoo »

Pixar usually includes several versions of the movie with signs and such translated to other languages.
Radiocomms237

Post by Radiocomms237 »

This title's entry on thediscdb.com shows three playlists (.mpls files) for the main feature (you'll need to click on "Show all titles" to see the following):

00800.mpls @ 24.6GB
00801.mpls @ 24.6GB
00802.mpls @ 24.6GB

And I'd say they're all different language versions. If you do a decrypted backup of the disc using MakeMKV, you should be able to play the following three transport streams (.m2ts files) from the backup folder:

00962.m2ts
00963.m2ts
00964.m2ts

They are the first differences I saw in the segment maps and, I'm guessing, would be the opening titles in different languages (I'd also guess that 00962.m2ts (and therefore 00800.mpls) would be the English version).