Recommendation for BlueRay External DVD ROM

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
EddieK

Recommendation for BlueRay External DVD ROM

Post by EddieK »

I am looking for a BlueRay DVD external USB 2.0/3.0 player for my computer that works with MakeMKV.

Any recommendations and if possible, a link to the product.

Thank you.
Grayfox

Re: Recommendation for BlueRay External DVD ROM

Post by Grayfox »

I used a Pioneer BDR-XD05TB but I currently also run a Pioneer BDR-XS07TUHD
The BDR-XD05TB can read CD, DVD, BDR and write to CD, DVD and BD
The BDR-XS07TUHD can read CD, DVD, BDR, UHD BD and write to CD, DVD, BD, UHD-BD

The BDR-XD05TB is a top loading styled drive where as the BDR-XS07TUHD is a slot loading drive.
Since the BDR-XD05TB is discontinued, the newer version of it is the BDR-XD07TB.
Not to sure it will run as I have not used it but cant see why it wont work without issues, esp considering the BDR-XS07TUHD runs fine

But the BDR-XS07TUHD is going to be more expensive of a drive due to it being UHD compatible.
I would go with the BDR-XS07TUHD if you can afford it as it at least gives you the option of ripping UHD BDs in the future should you want to do so.

I got mine from PC Case Gear as I am Australian and that is a PC store I use often and trust.
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

Hi. Thanks for sharing the info about the BDRs. It is a bit pricey for me and I don't live in Australia. I live in the U.S.

I usually shop on Amazon, but there are so many BlueRay DVD/CD units listed in their store and I am not sure which one is the right one for me that will work with MakeMKV. So, I selected the one that has the highest reviews which is at 4.7 out of 5 stars. Tell me what you think about this one:
https://a.co/d/3n21O9O

I am not concerned about UHD, but I certainly want a BluRay unit that will perform optimally ripping my BluRay discs.

Thank you.
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

Never heard of Wbacon.

I would personally recommend Pioneer as a brand.
Never had anything go wrong with them
Most of the newer ones should support LibreDrive.

BDR-XD08TB seems to be the lastest non UHD Bluray writer they have.
Try and find a BDR-XD07TB, it should be cheaper since it is an older model.
EddieK

Post by EddieK »

I looked for the BDR-XD08TB and they are priced around $120. I'm just not in the position to pay that much. I also search for the other older model but it appears to be no longer manufactured. Found it on eBay but it was for $170.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Lokin

Post by Lokin »

I am also looking for a reliable external blu-ray drive that works with MakeMKV. Will all the Pioneer external blu-ray drives work with MakeMKV? Specifically, will the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-X13UBK work with MakeMKV? And I don't care about the the UHD, because I don't own any 4k blu-rays. I was also looking at the ASUS Powerful Blu-ray Drive with 16x Writing Speed and USB 3.0 for Both Mac/PC Optical Drive BW-16D1X-U. But I am not sure if this ASUS blu-ray drive will work with MakeMKV. I need reliability and something that will work flawlessly with MakeMKV. What do you recommend?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

"Works with" and "does everything I need" can be two different subjects. If you buy a Pioneer drive that has not had its firmware updated in the last 12 months, it will likely "do everything", but the newer firmware has limitations with ripping UHD disks.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Lokin

Post by Lokin »

I don't own any UHD disks (or 4K blu-rays). I am only looking to rip standard blu-ray disks. $150 is not bad for the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-X13UBK. I just want to make sure it 100% works before I buy it. Thanks.
MrPenguin

Post by MrPenguin »

Lokin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm
I don't own any UHD disks (or 4K blu-rays). I am only looking to rip standard blu-ray disks. $150 is not bad for the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-X13UBK. I just want to make sure it 100% works before I buy it. Thanks.
If you don't own any UHD disks then there are sufficient publicly-known keys and certificates for AACS 1.0 that you don't need to enable LibreDrive. In which case, any Pioneer drive you fancy will do just fine.

However, any Pioneer drive whose firmware date is 2022-12 or later is currently incompatible with LibreDrive, and there is no information about when/if this might ever change.
Grayfox

Post by Grayfox »

Lokin wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:20 pm
Then look for a BDR-XD07TB.
It should be old enough to work with LibreDrive and cheaper as there is a newer model out.

The BDR-X13UBK requires +12v from a mains adapter which you will get in the box, the BDR-XD07TB is USB powered as well as smaller.

Only upside of the BDR-X13UBK is the enclosure, you can always remove the drive if it fails and replace it with some other internal drive.
Lokin

Post by Lokin »

What about the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S? Will this external Blu-ray drive work with MakeMKV? Again, I only have Blu-ray movies. No UHD.
I am new to all of this. If I purchase the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S and a MakeMKV license, will I be able to rip all of my Blu-ray movies?
dcoke22

Post by dcoke22 »

Lokin wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:17 am
What about the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S? Will this external Blu-ray drive work with MakeMKV? Again, I only have Blu-ray movies. No UHD.
I am new to all of this. If I purchase the PIONEER External Blu-ray Drive BDR-XS07S and a MakeMKV license, will I be able to rip all of my Blu-ray movies?
Probably. LibreDrive is strictly required for ripping UHDs. It is not strictly required for ripping regular blu-rays. However, you might run into some corner cases with a non-LibreDrive optical drive that could give you trouble. For instance, if you want to rip a blu-ray that's outside of your region, it might work or it might not work. With a LibreDrive optical drive, it will work. I would expect most regular blu-rays to rip without much trouble on a modern optical drive that it not a LibreDrive.

The general recommendation is if you're going to buy a new drive, get one that can do LibreDrive, even if you think you don't need it. Your needs might change and things will be easier with LibreDrive if they do.

You don't strictly need to buy an 'external' optical drive. If you end up with an 'internal' 5.25" drive, you can put it in a powered enclosure and connect it to your computer via USB. For example, a Vantec enclosure will work with full sized Pioneer drives.

There are sellers on this forum that will sell you a LibreDrive capable optical drive. They're split up by region, so find that one for your geography and email them if interested.