Spider-Man Across The Spider Verse Blu-Ray disc not readable

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
mdhankins1

Spider-Man Across The Spider Verse Blu-Ray disc not readable

Post by mdhankins1 »

I hope this is the right area to post about this, as it's not a MakeMKV specific issue.

For some reason when I insert this bluray disc into my Pioneer BDR-XS06, it tries to read it for a bit and then ejects the disc. Initially I thought it was a bad disc, so I returned it for a new one and it has the same issue. Just remembered that I can use my Xbox Seriex X as regular blu-ray player, and verified that the disc is good.

My Pioneer BDR-XS06 has served me well for ripping my son's movies for quite a few years, but I'm wondering now if it's time to replace it for a new drive that is more compatible.
dcoke22

Re: Spider-Man Across The Spider Verse Blu-Ray disc not readable

Post by dcoke22 »

Often the behavior you describe is the result of the optical drive not being able to correctly read the disc. The standard advice is to gently clean the disc and try again, even if the disc is brand new and even if a regular blu-ray player can read it.

On the subject of your optical drive, one troublesome disc doesn't necessarily mean the drive needs to be replaced. However, it never hurts to have a second drive. Pioneer drives are well regarded but in my experience no drive is perfect. I have 3 different drives and almost always at least one of my drives will correctly read a disc. MakeMKV can make use of more than one drive at the same time as well if you turn on 'ask for single drive mode' in preferences.