Audio selection, 7.1, 5.1, Stereo ... ALL?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
RobAinscough

Audio selection, 7.1, 5.1, Stereo ... ALL?

Post by RobAinscough »

I'm not sure what I should be selecting for Audio ... do I select all the audio options (7.1, 5.1, Stereo) I want to include or should I just pick one and only one?

Cheers, Rob.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
dcoke22

Re: Audio selection, 7.1, 5.1, Stereo ... ALL?

Post by dcoke22 »

Dolby TrueHD is a lossless format. Generally it includes a 'lossy' core; this is 'regular' AC-3 5.1 surround sound. DTS-HD Master Audio functions in a similar way with a lossy core of regular DTS 5.1 audio.

I'd probably keep both of them.

What is the stereo track? It might be a commentary track. It might be descriptive audio. It might be a stereo mix of the main audio track. If you make a decrypted backup of a disc before making .mkv files, you can play the associated .m2ts file(s) in the /BDMV/STREAM/ folder for a particular title (see the segment map line in the info box on the right) and check. Or, you can make a .mkv from the backup, check the output, and adjust. Making .mkv files from decrypted backups goes as fast as your computer's storage allows.