Chinese BluRay Won't Rip?

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
jacki

Chinese BluRay Won't Rip?

Post by jacki »

Hi, I purchased a BluRay of a Disney+ movie hoping to be able to use MakeMKV with it. It generally (though not always) fails to mount in MacOS, and when it does mount, MakeMKV produces variations of the following error:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:UNRECOVERED READ ERROR' occurred while reading 'BD-RE MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ265 1003 WP64 013332' at offset '32768'

I'm using a 2014 Pawtec external reader which has never given me problems before, but maybe it's too old for some newer discs, or maybe there's a region encoding that's screwing things up since the disc is from China?

The disc plays perfectly fine on my 2011 Panasonic DMP-BDT210.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
Radiocomms237

Re: Chinese BluRay Won't Rip?

Post by Radiocomms237 »

Those Chinese bootleg "Blu-rays" are total crappola. To begin with, if you look closer you'll likely see that it isn't a commercially pressed disc but a burnt BD-R.

I've bought maybe a dozen different titles and I reckon I've only had about a 75% success rate with them. And most of the time the seller just evaporates into the ether as soon as you mention the word "refund"!

I refuse to have anything to do with them nowadays.

I would never have even considered buying them except that those titles just aren't available anywhere else. If you ask me, the streaming companies are missing-out on a huge market here by not releasing these shows on disc themselves... It's pure greed of course, they think they may lose subscriptions but they're losing them to the Chinese anyway, so why not cash in?!

Sorry for the rant. I can't really help with your problem, except to say that it looks like a typical read error that I've seen all too ofter with these discs. And the odd time that I have bought a replacement, the new discs have had the exact same errors at the same offsets, which I assume to be a mastering error?
jacki

Re: Chinese BluRay Won't Rip?

Post by jacki »

Thanks for the reply! I won't ask for a refund just because the disc plays fine on my TV, but that wasn't why I bought it, lol. I suppose it could be mastering, or something else, maybe there's another trick I'm not aware of