Lossless Audio Track in CARS Not Transferring

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
SteveInNC

Lossless Audio Track in CARS Not Transferring

Post by SteveInNC »

I have ripped the CARS Blu-ray three times and cannot get the lossless audio to transfer. Any reason why?
Romansh

Re: Lossless Audio Track in CARS Not Transferring

Post by Romansh »

SteveInNC wrote:I have ripped the CARS Blu-ray three times and cannot get the lossless audio to transfer. Any reason why?
There are two likely explanations:

- you aren't selecting the correct track in MakeMKV

- the method you use to determine whether the lossless track is included is flawed

It's also quite possible that MakeMKV isn't including the lossless audio properly, but that's next on the list (i.e. a bit less likely).

MediaInfo should tell you whether your MKV includes a lossless track.
For DTS-HD you'll need to use the official GUI under OS X too (MediaInfo Mac / Media Inspector doesn't provide enough information to differentiate DTS-HD from DTS, especially in 0.7.36.0 and earlier).

Edited: fix inaccurate statement.
Last edited by Romansh on Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveInNC

Post by SteveInNC »

Romansh wrote:
SteveInNC wrote:I have ripped the CARS Blu-ray three times and cannot get the lossless audio to transfer. Any reason why?
There are two likely explanations:

- you aren't selecting the correct track in MakeMKV

- the method you use to determine whether the lossless track is included is flawed

It's also quite possible that MakeMKV isn't including the lossless audio properly, but that's next on the list (i.e. a bit less likely).

MediaInfo should tell you whether your MKV includes a lossless TrueHD or LPCM track.
For DTS vs. DTS-HD, you need to use something more discriminating, like ffmpeg -i (MediaInfo doesn't differentiate DTS-HD from DTS).
Sorry, I should have made myself a little clearer. I always select the lossless and one lossy format (just in case) when I convert a BR to MKV. When I tried to play CARS there was only one audio track available and it was DD. I figured that I somehow forgot to check the lossless box so I went back and did it again.......still no lossless track. The third try I just checked the lossless box only and this time no audio track at all. The lossless track is LPCM 5.1 BTW. Thanks for your help.
Romansh

Post by Romansh »

SteveInNC wrote:Sorry, I should have made myself a little clearer. I always select the lossless and one lossy format (just in case) when I convert a BR to MKV. When I tried to play CARS there was only one audio track available and it was DD. I figured that I somehow forgot to check the lossless box so I went back and did it again.......still no lossless track. The third try I just checked the lossless box only and this time no audio track at all.
So a lossless track is available to be selected in MakeMKV. You still haven't specified what you use to determine which audio tracks are "available", BTW.

Did you try analyzing the output file with MediaInfo?
Icetrips

Post by Icetrips »

SteveInNC check if the track is in the mkv file.. mkvextract...

I supose the track is there but your media player is unable to play it, so, it's not in the list.
MakeMKV registered
System: Windows 7 x64 SP1, LG WH10LS30
Playback Devices: Media Player Classic, Samsung DLNA
KYThrill

Post by KYThrill »

It is probably transferring, your media player just can't play it out of a MKV container. VLC or popular media players like the Dune cannot play LPCM out of a MKV container. You must use a program like eac3to to extract the LPCM file (either from the disc, or back out of the MKV) and convert it to a WAV file. Then you will need to remux the WAV file back into your MKV. This WAV file will convert to a PCM track (vs LPCM) and will then work in the MKV container. The resulting WAV and PCM tracks are both lossless.