disc doesn't even mount!

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
captain

disc doesn't even mount!

Post by captain »

I think WB has finally figured out the unbreakable copy protection: make a disc that won't mount at all! :-P

Life as We Know It (RENTAL) - won't mount at all in OSX on a Plextor BDDVDR PX-B310U 1.07

Other blu-ray discs mount fine and MakeMKV can see them, but this one goes in, and registers nada in the OS and in MakeMKV.

Make MKV reports "loading" for 30sec, then "No disc".

EDIT - PROBABLE CORRECT ANSWER:
crowfax wrote:Not uncommon, usually if a disc is pressed badly then all other discs in the same run will be as well.

Last edited by captain on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crowfax

Re: disc doesn't even mount!

Post by crowfax »

Disc is damaged or your drive is failing.

Not a copy protection issue.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
captain

Post by captain »

You may be right... however, this disc mounted and played as WB wanted it to (with 30min of unskippable previews) in a PS3. And *every* other blu-ray disc I tried in my Plextor drive mounted just fine, even my freakishly weird Euro blu-rays. I wouldn't put it past WB to have some new crap on their blu-ray encoding that prohibits mounting on a non-compliant blu-ray player. So, someone might want to look into this and alert Mike to a potentially new DRM.
BlackDragon24

Post by BlackDragon24 »

captain wrote:You may be right... however, this disc mounted and played as WB wanted it to (with 30min of unskippable previews) in a PS3. And *every* other blu-ray disc I tried in my Plextor drive mounted just fine, even my freakishly weird Euro blu-rays. I wouldn't put it past WB to have some new crap on their blu-ray encoding that prohibits mounting on a non-compliant blu-ray player. So, someone might want to look into this and alert Mike to a potentially new DRM.
This actually happens quite a bit more than I'd like. I just purchased Dexter First Season and for whatever reason my Blu-ray drive did not like the first disc. The second and third discs were ok, but I could not even get the first one to mount. Played fine in a an actual blu-ray player. I returned it, got a replacement, and now it works fine. Maybe its just my drive being picky.

And like I said, this has happened before. I think I had to go through 4 Austin powers trilogies before it would read all three of them. And this was when the drive was new and the firmware was updated.

So really, it has nothing to do with makemkv.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

This is a common problem on Mac OS X. The reason is that UDF file system driver in OS X is quite limited (sad but true), and if Mac OS X doesn't recognize the disc, it instantly ejects it.
Please use the following sequence - launch MakeMKV, and then insert the disc. MakeMKV will "hold" the disc and because it has built-in UDF parser, it should be able to process any disc properly.
captain

Post by captain »

That's exactly what I did (at least on several of my attempts). A typical exercise: turn off blu-ray drive, turn on blu-ray drive, start up MakeMKV, insert blu-ray, use MakeMKV to eject blu-ray, re-insert blu-ray, use MakeMKV to eject blu-ray, quit MakeMKV, turn blu-ray drive back on, start MakeMKV.... So, at least *some* of my procedures match Mike's suggestion. I have DASPI 1.3 installed too - dunno if that matters.

One thing that does not work is to start MakeMKV, then turn on the drive. MakeMKV never sees the drive come online in that case.

PS: I tried another copy of the same disc - same problem.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Not uncommon, usually if a disc is pressed badly then all other discs in the same run will be as well.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
captain

Post by captain »

Is there some way to set a switch in MakeMKV to "just go ahead and rip as much as you can and pad the bad bits, so I can at least watch this disc I just paid for!"? I thought that was what "rip full disc" was for, but I'm no longer finding that in any menu options.
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

Even if you did manage that, you'll end up with a file that basically nothing can read. Playback software will just halt when it gets to a "gap" in the data. Because discs are physical the laser just skips the bad areas and waits till it hits the next section of the disc it can read. The gaps will be so small you'll probably never notice, but for software that's reading a file it looks like the end of the file.

Just keep returning it. I had to return one movie about 5 times before I got one that worked, I can't recall what it was now... Sherlock Holmes maybe?
ejonesss

Post by ejonesss »

mike admin wrote:This is a common problem on Mac OS X. The reason is that UDF file system driver in OS X is quite limited (sad but true), and if Mac OS X doesn't recognize the disc, it instantly ejects it.
Please use the following sequence - launch MakeMKV, and then insert the disc. MakeMKV will "hold" the disc and because it has built-in UDF parser, it should be able to process any disc properly.

i have the movie collision earth and while it looks like the same problem the ejection is happening before the mac can even try to read it.
that prohibits mounting on a non-compliant blu-ray player
just a hunch most of today's blu ray players are just a sata drive with some blu ray playing electronics.

if someone is willing to crack open their blu ray and connect sata cable to a sata/usb bridge board (found in modern hard drive enclosures) and see if it may be some authentication chip on the electronics of the drive.

yes you will have to unplug the power from the player before you open it up due to high voltages in the power supply.

you may have to use the player's power supply to power the drive since there is not a compatible connector to connect to the power cable on a hard drive enclosure.

then if someone could report back here with their findings.
ejonesss

Post by ejonesss »

captain wrote:That's exactly what I did (at least on several of my attempts). A typical exercise: turn off blu-ray drive, turn on blu-ray drive, start up MakeMKV, insert blu-ray, use MakeMKV to eject blu-ray, re-insert blu-ray, use MakeMKV to eject blu-ray, quit MakeMKV, turn blu-ray drive back on, start MakeMKV.... So, at least *some* of my procedures match Mike's suggestion. I have DASPI 1.3 installed too - dunno if that matters.

One thing that does not work is to start MakeMKV, then turn on the drive. MakeMKV never sees the drive come online in that case.

PS: I tried another copy of the same disc - same problem.

i tried upgrading daspi to 1.4 and that did not help either.