TT3D:Closer to the Edge Blu-ray fails when ripping

Everything related to Blu-ray 3D and 3D MKV files
rotekz

TT3D:Closer to the Edge Blu-ray fails when ripping

Post by rotekz »

I have tried two different copies of the disk and fails after about a minute of ripping. It has a 3D sub-video file - the first I have seen on a disk. I have tried both with and without it checked to rip.

The dump file is here: http://www.fileconvoy.com/dfl.php?id=g9 ... 54aa62e21c
cozzmo

Re: TT3D:Closer to the Edge Blu-ray fails when ripping

Post by cozzmo »

+1

I also have 2 different versions of the disk (both original of course) and both fail in backup and MKV mode and one CRASHES MakeMKV in Backup mode!

Can post the details up if you need them.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

OK, this is really weird now ...

I tried again, failed with both discs to make an MKV, but Disc1 i was able to make a full backup of successfully, but using the backup, fails to make an MKV ... !

Attached are the two logs from trying to make an MKV.

Disc2 Still causes MakeMKV to crash when doing a backup.
Attachments
Disc2-MKV-MakeMKV_log.txt
Disc2 - packaged as a 2D/3D bluray only
(7.88 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Disc1-MKV-MakeMKV_log.txt
Disc1 - packaged as a combo set 2D/3D/DVD
(9.2 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

From the log it looks like the M2TS file is indeed corrupted. Did the backup produce any hashcheck errors?
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Strangely no, the hashcheck didn't come up with any errors during the successful backup of the disc which i then thought wow, i'll be able to make an MKV now... I still have the 'successful' backup files on the hard disk.

I was able to make an MKV of the DVD disc without problem btw.

HOWEVER, trying to replicate a successful backup this morning (just to see) has provided corrupted files again, BUT, the amount ( % ) of corruption and the files that are corrupted changes each time (will post logs of the two attempts when the second one finishes), which sort of sounds like a hardware drive issue. Thinking this, i then tried backing up another bluray disc and it was able to backup successfully, perfectly the first time without error, so i don't think there's an issue with the drive.

I can't imagine that two totally independent releases (the actual disc printing and cover art is different) of the same disc sourced from two totally separate locations (one eBay store and one Retail store) are both damaged/corrupted and having one actually crash MakeMKV when trying to backup is super weird.
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Two attempts to backup, back to back, i didn't even eject the disc, just closed make MKV and reopened it. Shows different offsets for the errors and 10 vs 8 hash check failures so i don't know what to blame ??

I'm doing a backup of In Time at the moment to verify that the drive isn't the issue and is able to do a full disc backup (just to be sure, all done back to back on the same day).

Any ideas of what to try, i'm open to them!
Attachments
Disc1-Backupfail-attempt2-MakeMKV.txt
Attempt 2
(3.83 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Disc1-Backupfail-attempt1-MakeMKV.txt
Attempt 1
(4.32 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

OK, so doing some more investigation, i had problems ripping discs now that i've ripped before, so i thought straight away, my drive is dying....

I spoke to a mate of mine, mentioned the issues i was having and was thinking it could be my drive failing, he said run a CPU stress test and see if it passes, i did that and it FAILED (LinX). Bumped CPU voltage up a fraction and instantly no more corrupt file errors on a disk backup. Unbelievable (and a bit embarrassing to be honest)!

HOWEVER...

Disc1 backup from HDD that passed still fails to make an MKV
Disc1 from the disc to make an MKV fails.
and

Disc2 (even after the CPU voltage adjustment) still causes MakeMKV to crash when trying to backup the disc.
Attachments
Disc1-straight from blurayfail.txt
MKV straight from Disc fail.
(9.21 KiB) Downloaded 500 times
Disc1-backuppass-mkvfail.txt
Backup successful, MKV from backup fail.
(9.39 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

More messing about, unticking the SUBTITLE tracks allows the disc to be ripped, finally, successfully.
rotekz

Post by rotekz »

cozzmo wrote:More messing about, unticking the SUBTITLE tracks allows the disc to be ripped, finally, successfully.
really? when ripping just the main movie? I'll try that right now....
cozzmo

Post by cozzmo »

Yup, subs aren't needed anyways (i thought some of the on-screen stuff was subbed) but its all burned in from wht i can see so far.

Also for those wondering, YES, the 3D information is retained. The file is on my PC, with Serviio over netowrk to my Panasonic TV, playing back in 3D. I do get some pixelation and artifacting, but i don't know if that's the rip or the poor network media playing capabilities of the TV (such as no fast forward or rewind etc).
rotekz

Post by rotekz »

Thanks! It worked. I'll know for next time to try without subs.