Rip Fail - Close Encounteres of the Third Kind

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
hedcase

Rip Fail - Close Encounteres of the Third Kind

Post by hedcase »

Hey guys, new to the forum - I've run into a problem ripping my Close Encounters Blu Ray disc. It initially failed on OSX Mountain Lion and typically if a disc failed here I'd have better results in Windows. This time I had no luck with either OS.

The process gets to the end and I get these errors:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00025.m2ts' at offset '0'
Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading '/BDMV/STREAM/00025.m2ts' at offset '0'

Then I get a "Copy complete. 1 titles saved, 1 failed" message. Turns out I only got 347MB file saved and nothing else.

Am I missing something or is there something I can do to correct this issue?

Thanks.
crowfax

Re: Rip Fail - Close Encounteres of the Third Kind

Post by crowfax »

You can try cleaning your disc, or swapping it for a new one. Your drive can't read it.
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
hedcase

Post by hedcase »

It's a new, clean disc that plays fine in my Samsung standalone unit. Maybe I should be looking at a different external drive for my computer?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Or make sure that the drive is getting fully powered. There are a lot of reports of USB bus-powered drives failing rips because there is insufficient power available on the USB bus to run them at full speed. Using a powered hub "fixes" the issue, although some drives fix it by having TWO USB plugs on their cable, to get enough power.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
hedcase

Post by hedcase »

This ASUS is new and has external power. I'll poke around and see what else is out there. Does anyone recommend anything solid?
Smithcraft

Post by Smithcraft »

Just because your disc player can play it, doesn't mean it's not a faulty disc.

SC
hedcase

Post by hedcase »

True, but this has happened with a couple other discs so I figured it was the drive.