MakeMKV Blu Ray rIps failing to network drive, OK on local

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Badger

MakeMKV Blu Ray rIps failing to network drive, OK on local

Post by Badger »

Hi,

When ripping directly to shared drive on QNAP NAS, always fails when closing the file (gets to 99% then fails). If I rip to a local or USB file it completes and I can copy the file to the NAS without issues. Not related to file size, always appears to fails towards the end. Running on Win XP SP3. Two examples:

MakeMKV v1.8.3 win(x86-release) started

Saving 1 titles into directory Q:/BluRay1
Error 'OS error - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API' occurred while writing data to 'Q:/BluRay1/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo_BRRIP.mkv' at offset '36234552470'
Failed to save title 0 to file Q:/BluRay1/The_Girl_with_the_Dragon_Tattoo_BRRIP.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

MakeMKV v1.8.3 win(x86-release) started

Error 'OS error - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API' occurred while writing data to 'Q:/BluRay1/Inception_BRRIP.mkv' at offset '18991377209'
Failed to save title 3 to file Q:/BluRay1/Inception_BRRIP.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

Any ideas? Can run again with debugs if this helps.

Cheers, Steve.
Badger

Re: MakeMKV Blu Ray rIps failing to network drive, OK on loc

Post by Badger »

Operation successfully completed
Error 'OS error - Insufficient system resources exist to complete the API' occurred while writing data to 'Q:/BluRay1/Shaun_of_the_Dead_BRRIP.mkv' at offset '22783459328'
Failed to save title 0 to file Q:/BluRay1/Shaun_of_the_Dead_BRRIP.mkv
0 titles saved, 1 failed

100% fail rate to the Network drive. 100% success to a local drive.

Workaround is of course to rip to a local drive then copy to the NAS, which always succeeds, but takes twice as long of course.

I'm not sure what MakeMKV does that a file copy doesn't, unless it randomly accesses files that are otherwise only copied sequentially. I guess that random access could use more resource?

Steve.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

The problem is that the system call that MakeMKV uses to verify the space available is being told that the network drive can't handle files larger than 4GB. This may not be the case, but it is what the operating system answers when asked that question. Essentially, the network drive is identified as being formatted as FAT32 for compatibility reasons.

It should NOT happen on a Windows machine, but it often does, if the NAS is based upon Linux (most are). On the Mac, whether or not it happens depends on the version of OSX and what network drivers are installed.

Mike is aware of the issue. The workaround you found seems to be the only "sure fire" one right now.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
stealth82

Post by stealth82 »

The same happens to me, with the same workaround.
Another workaround I started using is to make use of a Windows virtual machine. A pita but it works, especially if you want to skip the Optical Disk > Local Disk > Network disk copy process...
Badger

Post by Badger »

I guess there must be a way, otherwise the copy utility itself would suffer the same problem when transferring the ~30GB files from my Windows machine to the NAS.

Other programs that I use like Acronis Backup would also not be able to directly save 70GB images to the NAS, but they appear to have no problem.

@stealth82, could you please share details of your VM workaround as I'm not very familiar with that route.

I haven't yet tried putting a USB NTFS disk onto the QNAP USB port and using that as a temporary target. If that works, at least I'll be able to continue ripping another Blu Ray immediately whilst the NAS moves the file to its ultimate destination. I'm not sufficiently aware of the underlying cause of the problem to predict whether this would work or not.

Any more details would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Steve.
stealth82

Post by stealth82 »

It's nothing special. You can virtualize any OS on a given machine by using solutions like Parallels Desktop or VMWare Fusion.

You set up a virtual machine by defining how much space you want to assign to it, how much RAM and other things. After that you install Windows, this being the case, and it will work just a classic PC. From there you can install stuff or do operations like I do (I installed MakeMKV for Windows and rip from there).
Badger

Post by Badger »

Woodstock wrote:The problem is that the system call that MakeMKV uses to verify the space available is being told that the network drive can't handle files larger than 4GB. This may not be the case, but it is what the operating system answers when asked that question. Essentially, the network drive is identified as being formatted as FAT32 for compatibility reasons.

It should NOT happen on a Windows machine, but it often does, if the NAS is based upon Linux (most are). On the Mac, whether or not it happens depends on the version of OSX and what network drivers are installed.

Mike is aware of the issue. The workaround you found seems to be the only "sure fire" one right now.
This can't be right. The BluRay Rips all the way to the last second, then fails. So at least 23GB had been written at that stage. I was watching the file grow on the QNAP box.

This time, I tried writing to an NTFS USB drive that was mounted on the QNAP (the same 1TB drive that I use when ripping on the PC).

I hoped that writing to a NTFS drive on the QNAP might solve the problem, but unfortunately not.

Whatever goes wrong appears to happen at the very end of the rip, when I guess the first part of the file is updated with finalizing information to allow it to be played.

This is the only application that I have found that can't write / copy a 40GB file to the NAS. I really can't understand what can be preventing makemkv from doing what all other applications seem to do naturally?
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Badger wrote:This is the only application that I have found that can't write / copy a 40GB file to the NAS. I really can't understand what can be preventing makemkv from doing what all other applications seem to do naturally?
Well, MakeMKV does nothing special - all it does, it writes data to file and then the write fails for some reason. This happens at 36 GB offset. Does the error happen if you try to write a really small file?
Badger

Post by Badger »

mike admin wrote:
Badger wrote:This is the only application that I have found that can't write / copy a 40GB file to the NAS. I really can't understand what can be preventing makemkv from doing what all other applications seem to do naturally?
Well, MakeMKV does nothing special - all it does, it writes data to file and then the write fails for some reason. This happens at 36 GB offset. Does the error happen if you try to write a really small file?
It certainly hasn't happened when I rip a 3.5GB DVD, but on every BluRay, it always happens near the end of the rip. I've seen it happen at 15GB, 18GB, 22GB, 24GB, 28GB etc, so it seems less related to the actual file size, and more related to something that is happening towards the end of the rip that does not happen before this point. On one occasion it happened 70% into the rip, but that seems less common. I have still not managed to rip any BluRay directly without this error.

If, like this evening, I rip say 4 x BluRay to a 1.5TB USB drive on the PC, then drag and drop them all to the QNAP, they will all rip and copy over without error, but it takes three times as long to do it this way of course. I then tried one directly to the NAS immediately after to see if the problem still occurred, and after 55 minutes ripping, as the progress bar reached "1 second remaining" makemkv appeared to freeze for about 30 seconds, then dumped the usual error, with "0 files saved".

Cheers, Steve.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I've just ripped a DVD "Tokyo Godfathers" directly to the QNAP NAS, size 5,175,371KB, so does not seem related to a 4GB limit as proposed by Woodstock. NAS shows around 1410G free throughout the process on the makemkv status.

Steve.
Badger

Post by Badger »

I meant to say that there is a pause of around 3-4 minutes between the time when the status bar shows 0% remaining and the pop-up appearing to say that the file was successfully saved. Any ideas what it is doing all that time, as that seems to be the point where it goes wrong with the BluRays.

Steve.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

At the end MakeMKV flushes buffers - writes a lot of small chunks in random places over the file.
necrosis

Post by necrosis »

mike admin wrote:At the end MakeMKV flushes buffers - writes a lot of small chunks in random places over the file.
If this is the case it might be something with the version of samba the NAS is running. Flipping out when it "writes a lot of small chunks in random places over the file".

I had close to the same problem with my Synology NAS. "Close" meaning it was rather rare. And I completely got rid of the problem by using AFP instead of SMB. But my computer is a MacMini Early 2009 running 10.9 so switching protocols is not an option for many.