New Fox BD+ 2013.7

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
kptaylor67

New Fox BD+ 2013.7

Post by kptaylor67 »

Hello friends -

This is my first post to the forum, and before anything else, I want to say how much I appreciate both the commentary here and the great work done by the MakeMKV folks. This is really a terrific product.

Anyway, I have advance copies of some new Fox discs due on Tuesday, 8 October: American Horror Story-Asylum, Fantastic Voyage, and Journey to the Bottom of the Sea. They are protected by a new version of BD+ - 2013.7. MakeMKV cannot properly decode these titles. It attempts to process via the generic SQV file, then returns the error that it could not find the FUT for each title. The titles are then decoded but with MASSIVE video errors.

I've forwarded the links to the dump files (shared on dropbox) for each disc to support@makemkv.com. I'd love to see MakeMKV get the headstart here and beat AnyDVD to the punch.

Just wanted to give you all the 'heads up' on these titles. Your thoughts are welcome!
Keith
kptaylor67

Re: New Fox BD+ 2013.7

Post by kptaylor67 »

Hello admins -

Any idea when we might see MakeMKV updated to work with these titles / BD+ 2013.7? I sent all of the dumps yesterday, but I don't know how long it takes for you guys to fix these issues. Any updates / information would be appreciated. Thanks!

Keith
crowfax

Post by crowfax »

you'll be contacted if the developer needs more info, until then, just give the disc a try every day or two until it works
Home Theater PC: Assassin HTPC, XBMCbuntu 12.0 (Frodo), Intel i5 3570k 3.4 GHz Ivy Bridge w/ HD 4000, LG BD-ROM
Playback Devices: Mede8er MED600X3D, MyGica EnjoyTV 120, Xtreamer SideWinder 3, Crystal Acoustics MediaMatchBox
kptaylor67

Post by kptaylor67 »

Ok, so I'm not usually one to complain, but I think this needs to be said.

Yesterday, I sent the MakeMKV folks the dump files for the discs I mentioned. I realize that fixing these issues isn't particularly easy, but I can confirm that MakeMKV does have the data necessary to address the new BD+ code.

Meanwhile, earlier today, I sent AnyDVD HD the log files for these same discs. Just FYI, in the (usually unlikely) event that MakeMKV can't decode a disc, I use AnyDVDHD to make an .iso file, and then use MakeMKV to to make the MKV files from the .iso file.

I'm not kidding: within *two hours* of receiving the log files for these new discs with the new BD+ code, AnyDVDHD had updated their database to include a fix for these discs. I was able to create .iso files from each of the discs containing this new BD+ code, with all BD+ protection removed, and then, using MakeMKV, I was able to add these files to my server.

So MakeMKV: come on! I know that fixing these issues takes a little time, but seriously, if SlySoft can do it in a couple of hours, why can't you? I'd *much* rather just use MakeMKV, but I'm actually a little surprised that you haven't updated your DB to contain fixes for these discs after more than 24 hours, while AnyDVD was able to complete the updates in what seemed like minutes.

I think you're better than this - but that's just my opinion.

Thanks,
Keith
omnisrk

Post by omnisrk »

Don't be rude - people are busy with life.
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

kptaylor67 wrote:Ok, so I'm not usually one to complain, but I think this needs to be said.

Yesterday, I sent the MakeMKV folks the dump files for the discs I mentioned. I realize that fixing these issues isn't particularly easy, but I can confirm that MakeMKV does have the data necessary to address the new BD+ code.

Meanwhile, earlier today, I sent AnyDVD HD the log files for these same discs. Just FYI, in the (usually unlikely) event that MakeMKV can't decode a disc, I use AnyDVDHD to make an .iso file, and then use MakeMKV to to make the MKV files from the .iso file.

I'm not kidding: within *two hours* of receiving the log files for these new discs with the new BD+ code, AnyDVDHD had updated their database to include a fix for these discs. I was able to create .iso files from each of the discs containing this new BD+ code, with all BD+ protection removed, and then, using MakeMKV, I was able to add these files to my server.

So MakeMKV: come on! I know that fixing these issues takes a little time, but seriously, if SlySoft can do it in a couple of hours, why can't you? I'd *much* rather just use MakeMKV, but I'm actually a little surprised that you haven't updated your DB to contain fixes for these discs after more than 24 hours, while AnyDVD was able to complete the updates in what seemed like minutes.
Well, MakeMKV and AnyDVD use very different methods to get around BD+. The result is that sometimes AnyDVD is ahead, and sometimes MakeMKV is. If you search SlySoft forum, you will find similar messages about certain BD+ discs, but blaming AnyDVD this time - "How come MakeMKV can open this disc and you still have no fix after XXX days". When you open a BD+ protected disc and it just works, even without internet connection, you take it as given, right? In this particular case you were unlucky to be a first person with these discs, and also unlucky that no one acted on your emails for some time. BTW, it usually takes similar amount of time for SVQs to be updated.