Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
YouWho

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR'

Post by YouWho »

I recently downloaded 1.8.9 for my MBP and tried to rip a few disks. I ended up getting a ton of these errors:

Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERROR' occurred while reading...

Eventually the rip would fail completely after a few hours of painful extraction. I figured it was the disc and I tried to clean it up. After 3 tries I got one disc to rip (where as before I got each disc in one try). Same thing happened with my next disc.

I have tried cleaning the disc. This has happened on two discs in a row after never occurring before (I have ripped about 20 discs from my collection)...hmmm...both seem in the best of shape.
Woodstock

Re: Error 'Scsi error - MEDIUM ERROR:L-EC UNCORRECTABLE ERRO

Post by Woodstock »

The drive says it cannot read the disk. Has the DRIVE been cleaned recently?

Also, try resetting the computer - sometimes, the drive-to-computer communications just gets confused enough that it claims to have problems with the disk.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
fengypants

Post by fengypants »

Hi. I received the same error while converting the Blu-ray for "Redbelt". Tried reboots, reinstalls, etc. Got the same error and the conversion would fail — usually pretty early on in the process, less than 20 minutes in. Tried MakeMKV on a different Blu-ray movie and everything was fine. These are my first two times using MakeMKV, so not much to go on as far as previous experience.

Using a MacBook Air/OS 10.9.2 with a brand new Samsung SE-506BB external.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

fengypants wrote:Using a MacBook Air/OS 10.9.2 with a brand new Samsung SE-506BB external.
Make sure the drive has adequate power. MakeMKV will often spin the drive faster than other applications, causing USB-powered drives to draw more current than the USB port they're attached to can supply. This causes the drive to disconnect during operations.

Most bus-powered drives will either have a two-headed cable that can be plugged into two USB ports for power. Sometimes, using a USB3 port can help matters, or a POWERED USB hub.
Yellowdog

Post by Yellowdog »

Woodstock wrote:The drive says it cannot read the disk. Has the DRIVE been cleaned recently?
How do one clean the drive?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

There are optical drive cleaning disks that consist of tiny brushes glued to a disk that has enough data on it to cause the drive to cycle through those brushes. But you can start by blowing the drive out with pressurized air.