Audio Issue with Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince "Extra"

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Ravik

Audio Issue with Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince "Extra"

Post by Ravik »

Found one more issue (in addition to my previous post). There is an extras featurette located on disc 2 of the blu-ray edition of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince of J.K. Rowling's retrospective on the making of her series that runs 49:47 in length. Interestingly, all of the audio from the video is missing during the first 5:00 minutes of the MKV. In other words, the MKV is completely silent up to the 5:01 mark...after which it doesn't have any problems at all (as far as I can detect). I confirmed that the video source is supposed to have audio by loading the disc in PowerDVD 10. Let me know if you'd like me to run any diagnostics/tests/etc.

I'm currently using MakeMKV 1.8.13 (x64) with the M2TS integrity extraction method and VLC 2.1.5 as my default media player.

Ravik

LOGS:

Code: Select all

Saving 1 titles into directory F:/Output
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Program reads data faster than it can write to disk, consider upgrading your hard drive if you see many of these messages.
Forced subtitles track #3 turned out to be empty and was removed from output file
1 titles saved
NOTE: I've ripped to multiple drives and got the same message, so I'm pretty certain my hard drives are just fine. ;)
Woodstock

Re: Audio Issue with Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince "Extra"

Post by Woodstock »

Can't help with the audio issue without pulling out my copy of HP (I don't hang onto extras after watching them).

However, on the disk speed issue - The drives may be fine, but MakeMKV is having to wait on them when writing what it has read. This can be an operating system issue, or it may be a drive issue. If the destination is a network share, there can be problems with the network device when writing data.

The main thing to remember is that the data IS being written, but not as fast as it COULD be written.

What is this "M2TS integrity extraction method" you keep mentioning? I find nothing about that in my copy of "MakeMKV v1.8.13 win(x64-release)". When I select "Backup" (write to m2ts files instead of MKV files), the program says, "Loaded content hash table, will verify integrity of M2TS files.", but that's just telling you that it will check that the m2ts files match the disk's reported information about them, and decide whether or not the backup succeeded based upon that check.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
Ravik

Post by Ravik »

Regarding the M2TS method, that's exactly what I'm referring to. All I'm getting at by saying that is that the files have been cross-checked with the M2TS hash tables vs. being burst-ripped without checking.

As for the hard-drive warning, I wasn't really concerned. I have a very fast, custom-built rig, and the only bottlenecks I encounter are usually hardware limitations. :)

Lastly, I realize that extras are somewhat of a low-priority, but still I figured these errors were worth reporting since they represent an instance where MakeMKV isn't getting things 100% correct. So if my posts happen to lead to a discovery where the code is either missing or flawed, then I can at least say that I've done my part.

-Ravik-

P.S. And I also wasn't into mvoie extras until I discovered the VideoExtras addon for Kodi. Its a brilliant solution to the problem, and I'm hoping that more skins in the future (14.0+) will begin supporting it. :)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

It's odd, if there was actual missing data in the file MakeMKV should have reported it and mentioned that it had filled it with silence.

What codec does it use and how many different players have you tried playing it with?

-Edit- It's just Dolby Digital (AC3)
ndjamena

Post by ndjamena »

Code: Select all

AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:05:00.981 with duration of 287.968s : 8999 overlapping frame(s) dropped at segment boundary
AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:05:00.981 with duration of 11ms : encountered overlapping frame, audio skew is +11ms
Now that is interesting, at a guess I'd say the notice at the beginning is in it's own segment and its "silent audio" extends for five minutes after the video ends. As MakeMKV tries to sync the audio it finds the 5 minutes of extended audio in the first segment and replaces the first five minutes of the next segment with it.

It's a lot like the problem I had with Star Trek TNG Season 2, meets the problem I had with Season 2 of Terminator: TSCC all combined into one superbug.
Last edited by ndjamena on Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravik

Post by Ravik »

And like I said, the featurette works just fine in PowerDVD 10...so yeah, it is bizarre. :)

Let me know if I can do any further tests/analysis on this to help troubleshoot this.

-Ravik-
mike admin

Post by mike admin »

Ravik wrote:Let me know if I can do any further tests/analysis on this to help troubleshoot this.
Please send a testdump for this title per instructions at /onlinehelp/testdump.html . Please write a small summary in email or put a link to this topic. Thanks!
Pheran

Post by Pheran »

So, I'm guessing this was never resolved, because 6 years later, I've run into exactly the same issue. On Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince disc 2 is an extra called "J.K. Rowling: A Year in the Life" (2 chapters, 5.2 GB, 49:46). If I rip this title with MakeMKV 1.15.1, the first 5 minutes of the resulting MKV is silent. MakeMKV does throw an error when ripping this:

AV sync issue in stream 1 at 0:05:00.992 with duration of 287.968s : 8999 frame(s) dropped to reduce audio skew to +11ms

However, if I play an ISO of the disc using VLC, the audio works perfectly fine. Anything I can submit to help troubleshoot this?
Pheran

Post by Pheran »

The plot thickens - I attempted to produce a test dump file for this title. When I do this, MakeMKV crashes completely after less than 8 MB of output.

Normally MakeMKV works perfectly on my system, so this crash is a surprise.
Pheran

Post by Pheran »

I finally worked around this by downloading the video from YouTube, then using MKVToolnix to yank the audio from the YouTube vid and mux it back into the Blu-ray MKV (so keeping the high-quality Blu-ray video). I was worried there would be lip-sync issues, but the result looks flawless to me. Even though this is clearly some sort of mastering error, I hope that MakeMKV might still be fixed to work around it. But it's certainly a rare issue, so I won't complain too much either way.