John Wick - US Version

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
Stanuc

John Wick - US Version

Post by Stanuc »

Does anyone know the correct playlist for the US bluray release of John Wick?
nickbuol

Re: John Wick - US Version

Post by nickbuol »

I am picking up the retail version later today and can post what sequence is correct.

However, Redbox and Netflix discs many times are different if you are making a copy of a (gasp) rental version.

There are steps to finding out which sequence is correct. Most can be eliminated by simply playing the movie and noting the exact length of the movie. That will many times eliminate most, if not all of the bad sequences. From there, it gets a little more involved as you need to do chapter skips when playing back and note where those skips are and how many chapters in total. Then you have to compare the actual chapter marks inside MakeMKV to see what matches up.

There are other ways too, but those will work 99.9% of the time. Other people just rip every set and play them back to see what works, but that seems like a lot of time consuming effort and potential disk space.

What version of the movie do you have? Retail (purchased) copy from where (some places are different)? RedBox? Netflix?

You will find that if you have this issue, others will too and we can share what works with each other.
Stanuc

Post by Stanuc »

The Red version...
LG-BDNU40

Post by LG-BDNU40 »

I quickly used the Euro version of 00589. I then played 589 and BR disk side by side. I can only verify that each chapter starts with same time and scene in all 16 chapters, and have not watched whole movie as I'm out of time for today. Made full back up incase to play with later.

Red version
Title information
Name: John Wick (English)
Source file name: 00589.mpls
Duration: 1:41:12
Chapters count: 16
Size: 19.9 GB
hdmkv

Post by hdmkv »

Do you have the U.S. retail disc (non Red)?
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

I should have the US retail version information in about 4 hours if someone else doesn't have or confirm it here before then.
hdmkv

Post by hdmkv »

Just ripped U.S. retail, 00589.mpls. May indeed be the right one. Running time 1:41:13, with filesize 27.1GB. Ripped via MakeMKV, with TrueHD track only (w/o core), no subs. Don't think this movie has forced subs.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

Thanks. I will see if my rip matches when I get home. Isn't it amazing the file size differences between many rentals (19.9GB) and the full retail (27.1GB)? Personally, I want the "full-on" best copy, so the extra 8GB is worth it for the best video/audio to me. :mrgreen: Others may be happy with the 19.9GB version, which if they are just renting anyway, then they are looking for the cheapest route and are probably happy with the 26.5% less A/V data for the price. Of course, who knows what is in that 8GB difference???

To each their own. :D
macmuchmore

Post by macmuchmore »

For the US Red version, 589.mpls is not correct. The scene where he receives a puppy is not in the correct order.
hdmkv

Post by hdmkv »

nickbuol wrote:Isn't it amazing the file size differences between many rentals (19.9GB) and the full retail (27.1GB)? Personally, I want the "full-on" best copy, so the extra 8GB is worth it for the best video/audio to me.
+1. No TrueHD 7.1 track in the Red version. I'm also reading Red version use lower bitrates for video.
macmuchmore wrote:For the US Red version, 589.mpls is not correct. The scene where he receives a puppy is not in the correct order.
Don't wait to spoil the movie as I haven't seen it, but watched this segment quickly... delivery van/lady drop off dog in cage, John signs for it, reads card/cries, then dog is on John's bed. Should I watch more to check?
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

hdmkv wrote:
nickbuol wrote:Isn't it amazing the file size differences between many rentals (19.9GB) and the full retail (27.1GB)? Personally, I want the "full-on" best copy, so the extra 8GB is worth it for the best video/audio to me.
+1. No TrueHD 7.1 track in the Red version. I'm also reading Red version use lower bitrates for video.
Figures. I knew that Redb. usually drops HD audio, didn't realize the bitrates were being reduced.

I guess if I was watching in my living room on my 47" TV with a cheap 5.1 HTIB setup, or in my family room's 50" with just the TV speakers I'd be fine with that, but not in the dedicated theater with 138" screen and an audio setup starting with $7000 in speakers alone. Sure, there are much better and more expensive rooms out there than I have, but it is still a major reason as to why the better audio (and apparently higher bitrate video) is important to me.
nickbuol

Post by nickbuol »

hdmkv wrote:Don't wait to spoil the movie as I haven't seen it, but watched this segment quickly... delivery van/lady drop off dog in cage, John signs for it, reads card/cries, then dog is on John's bed. Should I watch more to check?
The dog is a key part to the movie. DON'T SPOIL THE MOVIE FOR YOURSELF. :shock:

OK. I am leaving work, heading to a doctor's appointment, and then to pick up the retail version to double check everything for that version.
Jimbo747

Post by Jimbo747 »

589 MPLS is incorrect on the Red Version
Farcry1010

Post by Farcry1010 »

I saw on red version that mpls 00001 is good for first few m2ts files not sure how rest of movie plays out
pbmurdaugh

Post by pbmurdaugh »

For me the Correct Red mpls is 404

Title information
Name: John Wick 2014 DD 5.1 (English)
Source file name: 00404.mpls
Duration: 1:41:12
Chapters count: 16
Size: 19.9 GB
Segment count: 20
Segment map: 505,508,507,501,512,504,520,513,517,515,518,510,506,516,503,511,519,502,514,509
File name: John_Wick_2014_DD_5_1_t06.mkv