Audio goes in and out

Please post here for issues related to Blu-ray discs
timbo65

Audio goes in and out

Post by timbo65 »

When making a burned BRD copy of"The Bourne Legacy" using EITHER Ashampoo15 OR Powertogo10 It plays and sounds and looks great on my desktop cpu But When I Play it on my STAND ALONE samsung in the LRoom the Audio breaks up in parts of the movie.I have a great cleaner for cd,blu ray and dvd transports and have used it too clean cpu,standalone's and my car.So dirt isn't the problem.Any ideas i have burned a brd copy of "Hall&Oats Live at the Troubadour"That plays and sounds great on the Samsung STAN ALONE
Woodstock

Re: Audio goes in and out

Post by Woodstock »

Most likely the Samsung isn't quite compatible with the audio CODEC in the MKV file. Since the audio is interleaved with the video in the file, you are likely to see video artifacts if the MKV file itself is damaged, and the other players would have issues, too.
MakeMKV Frequently Asked Questions
How to aid in finding the answer to your problem: Activating Debug Logging
timbo65

Post by timbo65 »

But it doesn't matter with the desktop cpu?or is there a way to fixthe codec I have the K lite mega package on the computer
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Tools like Handbrake (handbrake.fr) can transcode the video AND audio to be more compatible. Very few things of mine go to the media server without handbrake processing them.

Server software like Plex can transcode files "on the fly" for compatibility with different devices across the network. Each device on the network can have a profile that says what it can handle, and Plex will convert the file as it plays... assuming the server software is fast enough to do so.

But doing it via physical media like you are means you have to do it before you burn the disk.
timbo65

Post by timbo65 »

so is handbrake used AFTER MKV DECODES it?
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Actually, my work flow is to have MakeMKV extract all audio and subtitle tracks, period. No transcoding of audio.

Then I use handbrake to process that.

The only place that would be a problem would be if the audio tracks are TrueHD-Atmos, which Handbrake can't handle right now. I have not encountered such a disk yet.
timbo65

Post by timbo65 »

well ive tried handbrake a number of times(the settings are really beyond me)the audio still breaks up and now (the last few copies i made)the standalone samsung doesn't recognize a movie file on the brd.so ive given up on THE BOURNE LEGACY.i guess I was lucky with I ROBOT and HALL and OATS LIVE .They worked straight form the mkv files
makememe

Post by makememe »

Woodstock wrote:Actually, my work flow is to have MakeMKV extract all audio and subtitle tracks, period. No transcoding of audio.

Then I use handbrake to process that.

The only place that would be a problem would be if the audio tracks are TrueHD-Atmos, which Handbrake can't handle right now. I have not encountered such a disk yet.
Woodstock, would you please provide a step-by-step how you use handbrake to process the mkv? What is your purpose for using handbrake after the mkv created? I have not messed with the mkv files once ripped, but seeing that you do it has me wondering if I am missing something.

Thanks.
Woodstock

Post by Woodstock »

Reasons why:

1 - Anime BD titles can be compressed to 20% of their raw size while maintaining good to excellent quality.
2 - Not all CODECs being used by BDs are compatible with all players - VC-1 and its offspring VC-1 Interlaced are two that are particularly non-portable, and some of the high-def audio gives different players problems.
3 - Sometimes the audio and subtitle tracks are not in the optimal order for playback on stand-alone media players.

Handbrake give me the option to deal with all of those.

The "how" is more than I want to go into, in part because I use an older version of handbrake that still generates batch file commands from the graphic interface - new versions don't, so you're stuck with their queue mechanism, which I find tedious. I prefer batch files when dealing with 12 or more episodes that will have the exact same parameters applied to them. Re-working a 360-episode series because I figured out how to deal with the lack of a "forced" subtitle track would be ridiculous without a text editor and batch files!

If you were to decide that any of those reasons justify doing, handbrake is free, and there's this think Kids invented a long time ago, called "playing" that is a wonderful way to learn. Just be warned that handbrake WILL test the cooling system in your computer, because it WILL push it to 100% CPU for extended periods of time.
makememe

Post by makememe »

Thank you Woodstock.

I 'played' with handbrack a while back prior to finding makemkv--I used it, but I decided I did not need it after using makemkv. But then I saw your entry, and had to find out if I could be off the mark with how I process my library.

Now I see why you use it, again thank you for that revelation, it is not something I will need often.

Good to know, Thanks again.